2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-350 Super Duty model:
Won't buy another, grossly overpriced
By Eric on 07/04/10 11:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this truck new in '03 with the 7.3L diesel. I have replaced two drive shafts, four sets of u-joints and a clutch (at 90,000). I hate to think what I have spent on the brakes. I have never pulled a trailer over 4,000 pounds. In fact, I rarely pull a trailer other than 14' utility with an ATV and camping gear. At 112,000 miles it rides like a cattle truck. I have driven only standard transmission vehicles for the past 32 years. The Ford repair shop actually told me the problem with the drive train was due to my driving. I am trading this vehicle in as soon as possible. The only thing super duty about it are the maintenance fees.

Unhapppy customer
By Unhappy customer on 09/03/09 15:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have had my truck for 4 years and have had to replace water pump twice in 18 months, a u joint, injector o rings, erg cooler, oil cooler,injector sensor,trans coller sensor,fuel pump,and now I have a major vibration when decelerating. I have had to put $6000.00 out of pocket because most failed 6 months out of warranty and Ford won't stand by their product when they know about the problems with the 6.0.

Real Truck Value
By CaptJCHill on 11/12/08 17:16 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

We bought this used with 52k miles in great shape, but needing brakes, ball joints, shocks, and tires. Have driven 14 hrs straight and found it to be very comfortable on the Interstate, much more so than anticipated. Very strong with the 5.4L V8, but would opt for more power if towing in the mountains. 4WD and locking diff work flawlessly (manual hubs). Would like to have more convenience options, but not planning to sell this SuperDuty any time soon! Extremely reliable, well engineered and well made with good looks and 16 mpg on the highway, 13 mpg city. That is value in my opinion.

6.0 Diesel
By DL davis on 04/11/07 21:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XL Rwd LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have enjoyed everything but the number of times this vehicle has returned to the dealership for injector problems. Ford has pretty much admitted they can"t fix it. The warranty left 2 weeks ago and the truck will soon follow. I won't be buying a Ford diesel this time, but probably will try a GMC or Dodge diesel!

6.0L Diesel Problems
By Bill on 03/18/07 05:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 6.0L Diesel has been nothing but an expensive problem. Can't keep fuel injectors in it. Ford does not care about the problem. I know of many others who own the 6.0L diesel and have the same problems. If you pull a trailer or carry heavy loads, the 6.0 can't handle it. If you are a "Weekend Cowboy" and just ride around in the truck, it might be ok.

Outstanding
By Ford man on 02/23/07 19:06 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Absolutely great truck. Power to spare, and excellent mileage for such a big truck. I hauled a 3000 lb. slide-in pickup camper for years with no noticeable difference in handling. I hated to see these 7.3 diesel engines get phased out.

Great Truck
By binko on 08/14/06 10:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Had a F250 4x4 gas truck that rode bad. This F350 4x4 rides almost like a car. It has a 6.0 diesel that has been problem free. They had to reprogram it once. I have had no other problems at all with this truck. Power is great; runs better than the gas truck plus I am getting twice the mileage. Am averaging around 17mpg. I run this truck pretty hard. I have driven a diesel truck for 33 years as an over the road driver so I know how to operate one. I think a lot of people who have problems with a diesel really don't understand how they work. You can't operate it like a gas engine.This is the best Ford truck I have ever owner and I have owned a few. I would not even go look at any other truck.

Lemon
By Lemon on 06/02/06 13:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is is with out a doubt the worst vehicle I have ever owned! It spent more time in the dealer than on the road. This is the Ford F350 6.0 turbocharger. It is known for its problems but Ford is trying very hard to keep it under their hat. Four turbochargers were replaced before it had 17k miles, with an array of other problems. They have definitely lost quality control!

F-250
By George Karibian on 05/21/06 15:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I use it for towing and love it! If you ever tow or are thinking of buying an RV you need to look at this one. I work construction and I would say that Ford is by far the most predominate vehicle out there on the job.

6.0 Diesel nightmare
By THEWBJE on 04/03/06 10:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

2003 F 350, new engine after only 3000 miles, in shop total of 51 days in 3 years. New engine, sensors, rear end out at 29,000, turbo problems--worst ever for reliability. Great when it runs but last three vacations ruined with engine problems.