2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty XL Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford F-350-super-duty - Consumer Reviews

2002 F-350 Super Duty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-350 Super Duty model:

Sort Reviews by

Wonder why there's no option for the 7.3 on this site? oh well...
By trkngrl

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 2WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I own a 2002 F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel (that's a mouth full). It currently has 215,000 miles on it. I absolutely love this truck and everything about it. I've put a lot of money into repairs so far but I've put more money in aftermarket performance parts/unnecessary parts (Large tires, Lift kit, chip, fast track fuel system, tranny cooler, tranny shift kit, etc) which is my own fault. The only repair I've been majorly disappointed with was the transmission going out and even with that happening I still love my truck. My maintenance: Avg oil change: $120, Radiator $150, Rebuilt Tranny: $3000, Alternator $250, rebuilt front leaf springs $500, Ujoints $200

Favorite Features

Very roomy interior, tough exterior body, have had no major engine problems so far, comes stock with no catalytic converter :D, truck idles nicely, I highly recommend getting a TRANSMISSION COOLER and optional shift kit to lengthen the life of your tranny. Well worth the money.

Suggested Improvements

Changing out front leaf springs to coil overs, beefier transmission, better stock fuel pump, more stock horsepower

2002 SUPERDUTY TRANY PROB.
By JEFF HENGGELER

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I own a S/D that only has 73000 miles and have had too replace / rebuild tranny twice now. Not super impressed with Ford's poor excuse of a trany behind the best motor Ford produced. I bought and use my truck for towing. If I could do it over again I would seriously consider a different brand.

Favorite Features

cab comfort and size

Suggested Improvements

better drive train.

Great Truck
By gcspray

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD LB DRW (6.8L 10cyl 6M)

We bought the truck new in 2002. I wanted the 7.3 liter diesel with a six speed manual transmission, so we bought this truck before the 6.0 liter engines were introduced. The truck has been trouble free. It was recalled for the cam position sensor. I had the front rotors and brake pads replaced in 2009 because the OEM rotors warped. The new brakes are powerslot rotors with hawks pads, and they are great! The truck has 38K original miles, and is garage kept. I do not use the truck for a daily driver. It has been used to pull a 36 foot 5th wheel camper, and a enclosed race car trailer with a vintage car. We are planning on keeping the truck as long as it has servicable life left in it.

Favorite Features

Power to spare! Drives like it is on rails.

Suggested Improvements

Better front brake rotors

can it be any better.
By paulghorton

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This truck, with a little money for upgrades can pull trailers with ease. Some or these trailers exceed 20,000 pounds and holds speeds up steep hills with ease. With an exhaust brake the down hills are safe and enjoyable. The only downside is the transmission will eventually fail to handle all the power from the engine. When doing extreme towing be prepared for a transmission upgrade. Once done this truck is a beast.

Favorite Features

The 7.3 ltr engine. It is large, can handle lots of punishment and can be upgraded with little effort. The looks are also a real plus, as is all the big Super Duties of all years.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission upgrade, and an electric fan in front to help air flow through the several layers of cooling items.

Built Ford Tough
By sal

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 2WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Outstanding durability! This truck pulls what ever I need, where ever I need it. I have owned Dodge, Chevy and Ford, and this is by far the best built truck I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Auto 4X4 and interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Heated exterior mirrors should come as standard.

2002 F350 CC LB 4X4
By jgh9540

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 2WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Great Truck, expensive maintainance.

Favorite Features

Capabilities

Suggested Improvements

Maintenance Costs High

Transmission problem
By Jack Wright

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 2WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Transmision not what it should be with the 7.3 power stroke. No warning, just smoked and the temp gauge did not show any heat problem, was in normal range .In shop in Cordele, Ga. Had to leave travel trailer and will have to travel back to pickup when repaired. Rented rental vehicle to travel home 550 miles. Will be replacing at 118,000 miles. I had '95 and replaced transmission at 210,00.

Favorite Features

Power stroke 7.3

Suggested Improvements

Get a transmission that will hold up under the power stroke.

It really is a
By TJR

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

After own a 1995 F-350 the 2002 was a complete surprise. They have improved so many of its features espically the ride and cab room it beats both the Chevy's/GMC's and the Dodges without a doubt.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats Turbo Diesel 14,400 lbs. towing Style

Suggested Improvements

Noise

Love my ford
By FFEMT3231

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Very reliable and powerful vehicle whether im pulling heavy loads or just driving around.

Favorite Features

very powerful and reliable engine

Excellent Vehicle Choice
By PCitizen

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Basically, it is a fine vehicle and I am very glad I purchased it. The truck, though relatively new (10053 miles and one year older) runs and rides like the day I drove it home - the only difference is the mileage has steadily gotton better. I am getting about 22 mpg on the highway and 15.8 in the city. I am very pleased and have no regrets. I have read and heard of problems with them from bad trannys, rear ends, shorted wiring harnesses; but haven't witnessed any of this on my truck.

Favorite Features

General looks, ride, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Window defogger vent on right side. Interior climate control.