Used 2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford F-350-super-duty - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty

View reviews for a specific F-350 Super Duty model:

Wonder why there's no option for the 7.3 on this site? oh well...
By trkngrl

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 2WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I own a 2002 F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel (that's a mouth full). It currently has 215,000 miles on it. I absolutely love this truck and everything about it. I've put a lot of money into repairs so far but I've put more money in aftermarket performance parts/unnecessary parts (Large tires, Lift kit, chip, fast track fuel system, tranny cooler, tranny shift kit, etc) which is my own fault. The only repair I've been majorly disappointed with was the transmission going out and even with that happening I still love my truck. My maintenance: Avg oil change: $120, Radiator $150, Rebuilt Tranny: $3000, Alternator $250, rebuilt front leaf springs $500, Ujoints $200

Favorite Features

Very roomy interior, tough exterior body, have had no major engine problems so far, comes stock with no catalytic converter :D, truck idles nicely, I highly recommend getting a TRANSMISSION COOLER and optional shift kit to lengthen the life of your tranny. Well worth the money.

Suggested Improvements

Changing out front leaf springs to coil overs, beefier transmission, better stock fuel pump, more stock horsepower

2002 SUPERDUTY TRANY PROB.
By JEFF HENGGELER

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I own a S/D that only has 73000 miles and have had too replace / rebuild tranny twice now. Not super impressed with Ford's poor excuse of a trany behind the best motor Ford produced. I bought and use my truck for towing. If I could do it over again I would seriously consider a different brand.

Favorite Features

cab comfort and size

Suggested Improvements

better drive train.

Great Truck
By gcspray

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD LB DRW (6.8L 10cyl 6M)

We bought the truck new in 2002. I wanted the 7.3 liter diesel with a six speed manual transmission, so we bought this truck before the 6.0 liter engines were introduced. The truck has been trouble free. It was recalled for the cam position sensor. I had the front rotors and brake pads replaced in 2009 because the OEM rotors warped. The new brakes are powerslot rotors with hawks pads, and they are great! The truck has 38K original miles, and is garage kept. I do not use the truck for a daily driver. It has been used to pull a 36 foot 5th wheel camper, and a enclosed race car trailer with a vintage car. We are planning on keeping the truck as long as it has servicable life left in it.

Favorite Features

Power to spare! Drives like it is on rails.

Suggested Improvements

Better front brake rotors

Good Looker
By 2MileHi

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD LB DRW (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Really like this truck. Pulled 10k pounds of hay easily and now pull a toy hauler/front deck, so 1400# on the tongue. Put on a Reese Class V Titan hitch and air bags. No sweat. Mileage could be better, and my '86 F250 6.9, while a smoker, is much quieter and it has the dimmer switch on the floor where they belong. Wish Ford still made the 7.3. Not perfect but sure beats a Chev or Fiat Ram imho!

Favorite Features

Appearance, reliability, engine. Like the manual rear view mirror. Exterior lighting.

Suggested Improvements

Engine noise in cabin is way too high. Radio volume must be turned way up to hear talk shows.

American Built to Build America
By Jon Bees

2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have the V10, six speed off-road package. This is an excellent truck. The only problems I have experienced were a throw-out bearing and brakes. I bought it used and there is a gooseneck hitch already installed. Obviously someone had been using it for heavy hauling and to only have these problems is great. On numerous occassions, I've hauled gravel, dirt, and block, all with no problem! The ride is a little rough unloaded and I average 11.5 mpg, but you shouldn't buy a super-duty to go grocery shopping or to take your kids to soccer practice. Loaded, it rides like a Lincoln. This is one tough truck. If you mean business, buy a Ford Super-Duty!

Favorite Features

Loads of power. Outstanding Off-Road capablility. Big seats with a ton of support. Comfort of knowing that it can handle anything you can throw in it or hook-up behind it. Made In USA.

Suggested Improvements

Any improvements I could mention have already been made in the newer models. In this year, a clutch and brake upgrade would be helpful.