95' Ford F350
By jonpipe on
2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD LB DRW (5.4L 8cyl 5M)
I've had this Ford F350 Super Duty XLT Lariat 2WD Dually Super Cab 7.3L Turbo Diesel with 4spd auto, Dana locker on a 4.10 Dana rear in a Ford housing since new. My truck has over 300,000 km on it, still starts down to -26 C without being plugged in. My filter bowl started to spring a few leaks so I changed it. My fuel economy dropped from 21.5 mpg city/highway to 17.5 when the leaks started. I'm back at 21.5 mpg with the new assembly, and I don't smell diesel fuel when I get out of my truck, ha! I used to pull 18,000 at the speed of light, I was getting 23 mpg in the mountains. At the speed limit I get about 18 mpg (Canadian) pulling 18000 lbs. This could be the best truck ever built
Favorite Features
With the 5th wheel hooked up this truck rides as better than the best Cadillac out there today,it actually steers itself.ulling power, slowing down to 50 km to let 3 log trains on the highway, then pulling out on the mat almost straight up in the mountains with 18,000 lbs on the 5th wheel hitting a buck thirty five passing the three B trains with ease (with the stock LT215 85R 16).I decided to put LT235 85R 16 to get better mileage, well I have to hold the pedal to the metal to hold a buck twenty going up a mountain with an empty truck with no trailer,haven't noticed better mileage. The air-conditioning will freeze you solid in 7 minutes.The power windows work in any kind of weather.
Suggested Improvements
The interior is very brittle plastic, most of it is broken now. I think the sun caused most of the damage. Third gear has a shift /slip/lug/shift again thing. I didn't think it would last more than a week, but hey what do you know its still works exactly the same with 300,000 km as it did when it was new. There's a strap on the sun visor to hold sun glasses, I think its the best thing/place but by the time you get your sun glasses behind the strap their broken (I think a little bit more engineering is need here like an elastic band??). I can't find papers on the floor at night, it needs a couple of courtesy lights under the dash. I can't see the highway in the rain, so better head lights.