2dr F350 Turbodiesel 4x4 w/auto
By R Eldridge on
2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)
I've been using my F-350 7.3L diesel automatic 96,000 miles for a daily driver and for pulling various trailers (mostly horse trailers) since I bought it in June 2001. I've been quite pleased. I check the tranny fluid for discoloration and change PROMPTLY to avoid auto tranny damage. The only problem I've had in the four and half years is an o-ring on the oil line going to the oil cooler came apart (losing quite a bit of engine oil and scaring me half to death) at about 40,000 miles. The dealership that fixed the o-ring implied the low oil pressure switch would have shut the truck down before any permanent damage (hopefully) if I hadn't seen the puddle and shut the truck down on my own.
Favorite Features
Handles a decent sized trailer well. Feels very safe when towing within the specs and have any trailer brakes (that work!). Has been dependable (only left me on the side of the road once). AC and heat are EXCELLENT compared to my Dodge Ram 3500.
Suggested Improvements
The place where the seat belts fasten (at your hip) come out of the seat and can't be folded back under the seat (it isn't very comfortable to snooze in). The truck isn't geared to pull a heavy trailer very well at 75+ mph.