Used 1996 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Great truck
By Txfishermn

1996 Ford F-250 Crew Cab HD XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB

Pulls like a truck should. Very little problems other than maintenance.

Favorite Features

VENT WINDOWS! When manufacturers took away vent windows I stopped buying new trucks.

Suggested Improvements

Better ride. But what do you expect for a big heavy hauler.

7.3 l 4 dr. Crew shortbed
By lakeman88

1996 Ford F-250 Crew Cab HD XLT 4dr Crew Cab LB

This truck has 240,000 miles, I change oil every 3000 mi. Had to replace 4 wheel drive system (auto) with warn hubs, this is a must, and a transmission at 70k. Placed seat covers, interior is 95% like new, dry Ariz climate, no rust, garaged its entire life. I receive offers at intersections to purchase at 12,000 dollars! I would not part with this truck, and when engine goes away, at what I estimate about 400k, I will place a crated 7.3 for approx 6, k, as a replacement truck is well over 38k, and give it to my son. I've pulled my 4000 lb. Boat up and down the mountains, pass other pickups without a trailer in tow. It's a bulldog of reliability. I love it. Lakeman88. Tucson az

Owners daughter
By murlin

1996 Ford F-250 Crew Cab HD XLT 4dr Crew Cab LB

this vehicle spent the winters in the south so it did not come in contact with snow and salt. the owner was a trained diesel mechanic and had a reputation for excellent maintenance on his vehicles.

Favorite Features

diesel engine. toolbox. 2nd gas tank added. turbo installed in '97. $2500 5th wheel hitch installed fall 01. lumbar on captain seats. tires purchased Mar. 2000

It always gets the job done and then some.
By lenan

1996 Ford F-250 Crew Cab HD XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB

Over the last 160k miles this truck has been excellent. The 7.3L Power Stroke really is an amazing engine. It's got an incredible amount of torque on tap we've never had a single issue with it. I'm confident that I could tow or haul just about anything with this truck. You've also got to love that classic styling. I'd be lying if I said there haven't been a few fairly expensive repairs, but almost all of the major components still run like the day it was driven off the lot. It's spent it's entire life in Colorado so it's seen plenty of (sometimes very deep) snow, which it's handled excellently. They don't use salt on the roads in most of the state, so there's surprisingly little rust.

Favorite Features

As I mentioned the engine really is excellent. It pulls like an absolute champ. The handling is also surprisingly good- for such a big truck, it's pretty light on its feet and maneuverable.

Suggested Improvements

It's pretty comfortable, but it's about as noisy as you would expect from such a beast and the ride is pretty bumpy- though this a work horse, not a luxury car, so it's forgivable. The seats are also a little bit stiff and the interior is very 90s, but the driver's seat of this car is generally a very nice place to be. The rear window is also poorly designed. As you would expect the turning circle is fairly abysmal, and it's not a fun vehicle to park in tight spaces.

Short bed 7.3 crew cab
By Trailboss

1996 Ford F-250 Crew Cab HD XLT 4dr Crew Cab LB

Wife's truck to haul travel and horse trailers, and run around to dog shows from FL to WI. She didn't know she would love it so much. No engine mechanical problems after 210,000 mi. One bad door light switch and one elec. window only real problems to date. Still reliable for her to take long trips. May replace at 300K w/4x4 diesel long bed crew cab.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage ~18-20. Can let diesel idle for hours in the hot South to keep AC on our dogs left in the cab. Tows heavy trailers well, lots of power. We took the rear seat out to carry dog crates and gear in AC - only takes 1/2 hr to reinstall.

Suggested Improvements

Hub caps expensive and easily lost. Make engine heater plug easier to reach. Step on front bumper to access engine. Place to add coolant additive.