Used 1996 Ford F-250 Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-250 model:

exceptional truck for being almost 20 years old
By Aaron

1996 Ford F-250 HD XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

The 7.3 turbo diesel is excellent tied to the 5 speed manual transmission. The drivers seat is comfortable after 200k while the interior is like new for its age. awesome heat in the winter and cold factory ac in the summer. Owned for 3 years after purchase replaced turbocharger, glow plugs and o rings on fuel injectors, waterpump and fuel lift pump. Would recommend removing ebpv on turbo as it sticks in the winter which can cause your turbo bearings to go out as did on my truck.

It always gets the job done and then some.
By lenan

1996 Ford F-250 HD XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB

Over the last 160k miles this truck has been excellent. The 7.3L Power Stroke really is an amazing engine. It's got an incredible amount of torque on tap we've never had a single issue with it. I'm confident that I could tow or haul just about anything with this truck. You've also got to love that classic styling. I'd be lying if I said there haven't been a few fairly expensive repairs, but almost all of the major components still run like the day it was driven off the lot. It's spent it's entire life in Colorado so it's seen plenty of (sometimes very deep) snow, which it's handled excellently. They don't use salt on the roads in most of the state, so there's surprisingly little rust.

As I mentioned the engine really is excellent. It pulls like an absolute champ. The handling is also surprisingly good- for such a big truck, it's pretty light on its feet and maneuverable.

It's pretty comfortable, but it's about as noisy as you would expect from such a beast and the ride is pretty bumpy- though this a work horse, not a luxury car, so it's forgivable. The seats are also a little bit stiff and the interior is very 90s, but the driver's seat of this car is generally a very nice place to be. The rear window is also poorly designed. As you would expect the turning circle is fairly abysmal, and it's not a fun vehicle to park in tight spaces.

Great truck
By bigbubba357m

1996 Ford F-250 HD XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned new and old Ford p/u. The body styles of these trucks are the best. The last 1994 Ford I had I finally sold at 523,000 miles this one now has 212,000 miles. Not a problem yet.

Bad A** 4x4 excellent 7.3L Diesel.

None

7.3 l 4 dr. Crew shortbed
By lakeman88

1996 Ford F-250 HD XLT 4dr Crew Cab LB

This truck has 240,000 miles, I change oil every 3000 mi. Had to replace 4 wheel drive system (auto) with warn hubs, this is a must, and a transmission at 70k. Placed seat covers, interior is 95% like new, dry Ariz climate, no rust, garaged its entire life. I receive offers at intersections to purchase at 12,000 dollars! I would not part with this truck, and when engine goes away, at what I estimate about 400k, I will place a crated 7.3 for approx 6, k, as a replacement truck is well over 38k, and give it to my son. I've pulled my 4000 lb. Boat up and down the mountains, pass other pickups without a trailer in tow. It's a bulldog of reliability. I love it. Lakeman88. Tucson az

F-250 7.5
By goparts

1996 Ford F-250 HD XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

This has been a great truck. It replaced my 1986 when it was totaled in a collision. The '96 did have a transmission replacement at 66000mi but otherwise great. The 7.5 engine does best with a bigger exhaust system.

Styling and ride

Bigger (3") exhaust system. This helps lower engine temp and extends power band.