Used 1993 Ford F-250 XL Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford F-250 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-250 model:

This is a great old truck!
By articfox687

1993 Ford F-250 Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab LB

I bought this truck after a fleet retired it at 115k. It pulled a 14,000lb trailer every day before I bought it. I did have to rebuild the trans at 190k. But nothing else. I have the peppy 5.8L, and at 255k it will still pull a full size van on the trailer at 65mph and not slow on the hills. MPG 14-16, no matter what. The body is rusty now but from the drivers seat the truck still feels new. I love my big white beast. Way better truck that my '02 c2500 Chevy. I only wish Ford still made this exact truck!

Power, handling, and exceptional reliability.

Better rust prevention.

Fixed Or Repaired Daily
By ForBadger

1993 Ford F-250 Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab LB

This truck has a real quality problem and is poorly engineered as a work vehicle. From day one, the front brakes would stick. Ford could never fix them. From 40K miles, leaks sprang up everywhere; valve guides, main seal, A/C compressor, rear axle, pinion seal, clutch slave cylinder, master cylinder, and a rusted gas tank. The engine bay is cluttered and hard to work on. The fuel filter is in a bad spot for replacement. Very poor torque from a standing start. Many other problems that seem to be the result of Ford trying new ideas and materials that didn't work out.

One nice thing is that it has 2 fuel tanks and if a pump were to go bad, you can switch to the other tank.

Very poor manual transmission ratios. It needs lower 1st, 2nd, and reverse ratios. If you like to burn rubber, hit the gas and let her rip. But if you handle heavy loads and trailers, or work on inclines, it stalls too easily. Also, bring back the 4.56 axle ratio.