Big Boy
By raynardo on
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)
I traded in a 2005 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 for this 2006 Ford F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel SuperDuty Crew Cab 4x4 to better handle my towing needs. Boy! What a difference! While the Ranger worked really hard, this F-250 makes towing a breeze, heck, I can hardly tell I'm towing. I was getting 15mpg on the Ranger, not towing, whereas the F-250 is getting 14mpg - I'm told that this will improve as the vehicle gets more miles. Towing the Ranger averaged about 10mpg, and the F-250 is averaging 12mpg. The F-250 is much more comfortable than the Ranger, but the Ranger, being a smaller vehicle, was easier to park and maneuver. I'll be taking a 5000 mile trip with the trailer this summer - I can't wait!
Favorite Features
I love the power of this F-250. With the PowerStroke 6.0 liter diesel, gas mileage is respectable, and now it appears as if the price of diesel is lower than the price of gas - at least where I live; another feather in the F-250's cap. Since I have a 4x4 I also sit above most of the traffic as well.
Suggested Improvements
The 29 gallon fuel tank is anemic, there should be a factory option for a larger tank. A shorter turning radius wouldn't hurt either - U-turns invariably become a two-point turn. I have a crew cab, 12-volt outlets on the console facing the back seat, would be a nice feature.