2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

Sort Reviews by

Ford Tough, True
By Jim

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I put a 4.5" tuff country lift and 37" BFG ATs. It handles well and stops great, excellent pickup for a gas pushing large tires. Got 12-13mpg stock and 10mpg lifted. Needs odometer recalibration and higher gears (3.73 now), opting for 4.10 this week. Pulling a 1,600lb boat is a chore for transmission, can't keep up with tires, should change with gear swap. Fun to drive and turns excellent. Got stuck in 4 feet of water, sand, and muck in central IL.One trip to the dealer and she runs perfect, just needed a little cleaning.

Favorite Features

Large towing mirrors, HD hitch, many cargo places, 6 disc cd, came with step bars, tow/haul button handy, handles to get in, keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

Larger standard fuel tank.

F250 2Dr 6.8L 6 speed manual
By Alex

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This truck is awesome. It is everything Ford advertises it as and nothing more. Power from the v-10 is very comparable to my previous 460 big block. This is the best gasoline engine ever to come in a truck. The 6 speed manual works great and has probably the lightest smoothest clutch I have ever felt, while still handling the big power. The solid 1 ton axles can handle anything and the suspension rides firm and stable, just like a truck should. The gas mileage may only be 11-13 but that is the trade off you get with 355 horsepower and a heavy duty truck.

Favorite Features

Big power, stout drivetrain, firm ride, lots of looks and compliments from people when you drive by.

Suggested Improvements

Electronic throttle is slow to respond, doesn't do burnouts quite the same as the big block with the mechanical throttle.

Awesome Truck
By Mark Knose

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is the third Ford truck I've owned and they just keep getting better. Even the wife loves it (and drives it). The handling is smooth. Rides like a car but works like a truck. Suspension is firm but not bumpy. Corners tight (for a truck) and looks pretty when it's clean. Gas mileage is decent for its size and the interior is nice, quiet and has everything I need. Never had trouble with the old one (1994) and the way I follow the routine scheduled maintenance, I don't anticipate trouble with this one either.

Favorite Features

Engine size and sound. Body style. Hauling capabilities. Cup holders (my last one didn't have them).

Suggested Improvements

Nothing strikes me at the moment.

Best Diesel Truck Made-PERIOD!
By F250 Diesel

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I love this truck. I definitely recommend getting the diesel. Gets better gas mileage than the Toyota Sequoia I replaced. The build quality is excellent. The FX4 package rides a little stiff at first but gets better with time. It's designed to haul a lot of stuff and rides better as you add weight. I love the fold away rear seat with the fold out flat platform. It does not feel any larger than a regular SUV when driving. I enjoy being able to see over and around other cars for safety reasons. The view makes it easier to anticipate making defensive moves. I also took a direct hit in the rear from a stretch limo with minor cosmetic damage (limo was damaged heavily). I hardly felt it.

Favorite Features

Back up sensors makes parking this beast a breeze. People are always amazed how accurate I can park. In fact, it's easier to back in than park front in first style. It handles great for such a large vehicle. Steering wheel controls for A/C and the radio are a great safety feature.

Suggested Improvements

Side and head airbags. Captains chairs head rests need to be adjustable. DVD navigation with front and rear camera for safety. Auxiliary fuel tank as an option would be nice as well. Rear A/C vents. These features would make an already great truck over the top.

Cheap seats
By 10Rambler

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This truck was supposed to be the best one ever for hauling my 26' car hauler trailer around the USA. Plenty of power, fair gas mileage and easy to drive. All of these things are true. However, the seat comfort on long hauls is terrible. The seats in the XLT are the shortest (from the backrest to the front edge of the seat) offered in the Big Three 3/4 ton lineup. This short seat puts my legs to sleep (the front edge of the seat hits me way before my knees) on long hauls and I am selling the truck because of continuing comfort and back problems. Other than the seats and comfort, it is a good, solid truck.

Favorite Features

The truck with the chrome package looks great! The diesel boost gauge lets you know when the power is turned up. Great feature!

Suggested Improvements

The seats in the XLT are cheap and very uncomfortable. I have a VERY annoying squeak in the left rear door that will require the dealer's attention and another day or so out of service. The 6.0 diesel reliability reviews are not encouraging. The truck needs a cancel button for cruise control.

Tow Horse!
By Jonathan

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

06' F250 SD SB Turbo Diesel fully loaded! I tow a 12k pound toy hauler with no problems. I live in Big Bear and have to climb a mountain with a 16% grade. I love this truck and would recommend it to anyone towing a heavy load. Not towing I get 18-20 MPG @ 80 MPH - towing up the grade I get about 11- 13 MPG. Built in brake controller sets this truck over the top. I have seen the new style 2008 pics and am not thrilled with the styling. I test drove a Dodge, Chevy, and GMC and Ford had the best feeling truck and comfort. I do like the style of the GMC/Chevy interior, but Ford blew the competition away overall. If buying look into the Ford SD!

Favorite Features

Brake controller built in, power, upfitter switches, exterior styling, new front suspension. Stock tires BF Goodrich, shift on the fly AND manual locking hubs!

Suggested Improvements

Put a/c vents in rear, possibly bring back the 7.3 engine. Not much to improve.

Awesome!
By Mark

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I actually have a 2006 F-350 V-10 4X4 Crewcab with FX4 4:30 limited slip rear. This is my 3rd Super Duty since 1999. My 1999 5.4 and 2001 6.8 both went over 125k miles with no mechanical problems. This new 6.8 3V is awesome. I get 11.5 mpg around town and a high of 15+ mpg on the hwy at 70mph. With this power and performance I did not need a PSD. All three Super Duty's were quality built. It's an extremely solid truck. Don't expect great gas mileage from a 362HP/ 475 ft. lbs torque motor moving a piece of Ford Kentucky plant iron that weighs 7,000lbs.

Favorite Features

6.8 V-10 is hands down the best gas engine I have ever had. Smooth, powerful, quiet, reliable, and yes, efficient for what it has to move. TorqueShift automatic transmission is a good compliment to this motor.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should offer a better selection of tires in the 275/70-18 series. Being my third Super Duty most of the needed improvements over the years have already been made. Ford should offer Teflon spray for its cloth interiors.

Big Boy
By raynardo

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I traded in a 2005 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 for this 2006 Ford F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel SuperDuty Crew Cab 4x4 to better handle my towing needs. Boy! What a difference! While the Ranger worked really hard, this F-250 makes towing a breeze, heck, I can hardly tell I'm towing. I was getting 15mpg on the Ranger, not towing, whereas the F-250 is getting 14mpg - I'm told that this will improve as the vehicle gets more miles. Towing the Ranger averaged about 10mpg, and the F-250 is averaging 12mpg. The F-250 is much more comfortable than the Ranger, but the Ranger, being a smaller vehicle, was easier to park and maneuver. I'll be taking a 5000 mile trip with the trailer this summer - I can't wait!

Favorite Features

I love the power of this F-250. With the PowerStroke 6.0 liter diesel, gas mileage is respectable, and now it appears as if the price of diesel is lower than the price of gas - at least where I live; another feather in the F-250's cap. Since I have a 4x4 I also sit above most of the traffic as well.

Suggested Improvements

The 29 gallon fuel tank is anemic, there should be a factory option for a larger tank. A shorter turning radius wouldn't hurt either - U-turns invariably become a two-point turn. I have a crew cab, 12-volt outlets on the console facing the back seat, would be a nice feature.

2006 F250 Lariat
By lzrdking98

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

So far so good. I was a Chevy man and gas owner. This new diesel is tremendous. Very fast and reliable. Tons of power. Hopefully it will last 10-15 yrs.

Favorite Features

I like the steering wheel controls. Capt's chairs, overall layout of interior is quite luxurious.

Suggested Improvements

Need to upgrade sound system to Bose or Infinity with more speakers and a sub woofer. The current four speaker set up is a joke. But, I guess we don't buy trucks for their stereos

Go White Sox
By rick

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

To make this short and to the point. I traded in my '04 Suburban (which I never cared for). After test driving the '06 F250, I said to my wife I feel like I came back home. Waited for the vehicle to come in and bought it. Glad I did! Itís my second big Ford with diesel power.

Favorite Features

The 6.0 PowerStroke and interior. (King Ranch package).

Suggested Improvements

Stereo system.