Used 2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

Live to Travel
By jajp1954

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

The Power Stroke is an awesome engine! This is the only truck I have owned that not only holds it's own but actually accelerates going uphill weather towing or on it's own. My wife has fallen in love with this truck in less time than it took her to fall in love with me! And she cried when we traded off her other truck, now she would not trade this truck for the world, I think she would shoot me first! The BEST truck we have ever owned! And that is saying a lot because I have a 1997 F-150 that has been so great it is still running on the original battery!

Favorite Features

The DEISEL

Suggested Improvements

Backup sensors

Great Work Truck
By R Grice

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This '06 Super Duty Diesel replaced my '95 F250 460 V8, and the improvement in comfort, fuel mileage and build quality is amazing. We tow a 4,500lb enclosed trailer all the time in our home business, and I needed something that would do it as well as our other truck had for so many years. I have driven Chevy Duramax trucks, and love the engine/trans combo they have... but their smaller cab space, poor layout and styling were such that I ended up going with the Ford. We added a mild chip to it, as the stock motor is pretty poky compared to other newer diesels. It also improved our fuel mileage from 11/15 to 13/17. Beware of chipping too hard, as the 6.0L isn't built as heavy as the 7.3L.

Favorite Features

Interior space and design is great. Well-thought-out ANALOG controls and gauges... something that's hard to find now! I chose Ford for the cab and styling, and was not disappointed. I also love its beefy 4-wheel disc brakes and Tow Command System... the best trailer brake controller I have ever used

Suggested Improvements

Improve the 6.0L / Torqshift Automatic's power, build quality and refinement, as they are is easily outclassed by almost any Duramax / Allison I've driven ('02, '04, '07). The Shift-On-The-Fly 4x4 is a little spotty on its engagement, as the front hubs sometimes have to be manually locke

Sad to Say
By RD

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Unfortunately this is my 2nd F-250 King Ranch with Power Stroke, Ford bought back my 2003 F-350 because they couldn't keep it out of the shop. I mistakenly accepted the 2006, should have taken the cash and went and bought Chevy or Dodge. Won't make that mistake again. We pull 3horse slant Xiss living qtrs trailer with it, and the truck just can't get the job done. Wife has had to off-load horses on the side of freeway twice, and I missed deer camp in 2006. Blows turbo tubes on regular basis, and Ford Motor Co. is terrible at customer relations. Dealership has been great, but again Ford Motor Co. is awful...Tell everyone you know stay away from the Power Stroke.

Favorite Features

The King Ranch is incredible, love it. Ford amenities can't be out done by anyone. But that diesel engine is trouble

Suggested Improvements

Don't build a twin turbo, until you figure out how to make the single turbo work

Good Truck, Hard to Control
By Jay

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL 4dr Crew Cab LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I am actually writing this about my Father's experience with his 2006 F250 4X4 Gas Pickup. Overall he is pleased with the truck except one serious issue, which I believe is limited to the gas engine model of the 2006 F250. If you hit a rough patch of pavement the truck will virtually bounce and skip all over the road out of control. There are many complaints of this issue on the internet. Ford has TSB for this issue but it does not fix the issue. Has anyone found a fix? A local front end shop says they may be able to fix it with different springs. Seems Ford uses the same springs for the Gas and Diesel models, but the Diesel weighs almost twice as much, which causes excessive rebound.

Favorite Features

Towing capacity, capability, styling, overall quality of most components.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should accept that the Steering/Suspension problem needs to be fixed beyond what is suggested in the TSB. Our local service manager has acknowledged the problem and sympatizes with us, but says he cannot do anything further until it is recognized and sanctioned by Ford.

The best truck so far
By Mustang6147

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL 4dr SuperCab SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is by far the best truck I have ever owned. Tows great. Drives very stable even in blizzard conditions. It is a pleasure to drive anytime.

Favorite Features

I cannot pick anything specific, because the truck itself is great.

Suggested Improvements

I am sure Ford will figure something out. I couldn't ask for anything better