Used 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

What a great Truck
By czhcom

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I use this truck for hauling a pickup camper that weighs about 4000 lbs. This unit works perfectly, Lots of power, easy to handle and just a great vehicle.

Diesel 4x4.

none.

My F 250 King Ranch Truck
By Glosser

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I found this vehicle excellent on the highway, comfort and acceleration is very good. I also found the truck to handle very nicely in town. Parking in a lot is a little difficult, but to be expected for a big truck. I have heard that Ford has a problem with this engine but this was not my experience. I am somewhat skeptical of buying another one because of the "lemon" factor. BUT mine has been very good. I have driven the new 2007 King Ranch version like mine, very little difference.

I like everything about this truck, body style, Power Stroke, King Ranch is very nice.

The 4X4 makes a noise the is concerning. I did not take mine in for the noise but a friend said they told him nothing was wrong with his for the same noise...I would rather not hear the sound of stress.

Diesel King Ranch
By Glenn

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I've had my diesel 4x4 truck for almost a year and thus far has given me perfect service...no problems whatsoever. I often pull my enclosed car trailer (about 7500 lbs.) effortlessly. I get about 14 mpg around town, 18-19 mpg on the open road doing 80 mph and around 12 mpg when towing 65-70 mph. I have the deluxe King Ranch model and is very comfortable. I regularly get compliments about the truck when getting fuel. The only thing that I would change would be not having the captain seats in the rear, but a bench seat for the sake of carrying groceries and packages inside. I also like the availability of getting 16", 18", or 20" wheels, unlike GMC/GM were only 16" wheels are offered.

The first class attention to detail on the interior styling, materials, and comfort. I especially like the built-in trailer brake controller and just how the truck performs while towing.

I don't like the feel of the steering when making slow tight turns while in four wheel drive. There is a jerkiness and feedback through the steering wheel. I would have also preferred an "all wheel drive" system instead of having to turn the 4x4 on manually. I had that type on my Exhibition.

Reliable Horse Hauling Vehicle, FUN
By Ford Girl

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

After being stranded by 3 Chevys in a row I decided to try Ford. You will never be stuck or stranded with your horse trailer again! I have gone into cornfields with a 6 horse trailer and you put this baby in 4WD and no problem. Hills are a breeze when hauling horses and I'm in the Ozarks. It comes off the dealer lot READY TO PULL! Electrical is already set up. Interior is so luxurious that I hate to get in it in muddy boots. ROOMY! When not hitched to a trailer this truck is amazing to drive. This truck is FAST off the line and I say this as a 2002 Corvette owner. So much power make sure you have ballast in back when it snows. No problem towing in bad weather. A real beast of a truck.

Turbo diesel engine makes you fast off the line and gives you ridiculous power! I thought all trucks were slow ... WRONG! This thing really is a BEAST.

Better gas mileage would be nice. It's about $50-$70 to fill up with 1/4 tank left. But what do you expect from a diesel truck. It's not a hybrid for goodness sake.

6.0 Liter Diesel Needs Work
By Russ

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I love my truck. It fits me - I'm 6' 6" and I can wear a hat in the cab. The machine drives well, is easy to maneuver and park. This is my fourth F250 diesel - all my others were the 7.3L engine. My experience with the 6.0L diesel is that it underperforms the 7.3L both in power and economy. I was used to 14.5-15.5 mpg city and 18-20 mpg highway with the 7.3L. The best I've gotten with the 6.0L is 13.0 city and 15.0 highway. The 6.0L does not accelerate as well as the 7.3L did. I'm disappointed, especially as the price of diesel has escalated out of sight. There is a recall on the ECM and I hope that resolves the performance/economy problem.

Great big comfortable seats, super visibility, heated mirrors, and a moon roof. Great workmanship on body & interior.

A high performance diesel with 4 valves/cylinder, variable vane turbo, electronic injection and efficient exhaust that develops 550 ft/lb torque and 325 hp should get better performance - Ford should fix this soonest.