Used 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

Superduty or Superjunk
By gauner

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this truck cause my 84 was so tough. This one is junk. Front end speed wobbles if you hit a bump at highway speeds dealer has tried to fix "NOT". 5 power steering pumps and one gearbox. Yes it will lock up on you. If you drive a lot of dirt roads the Evap sys will suck dirt in and dispose of it in your gas tank "Yippi' Clogging fuel filters. Why cause the inlet is by the back wheels and the dirt causes the sylinoid to stick open. That is the check gas cap you keep seeing. Hyper sensitive electric gas pedal make this truck hard to drive slow. Side window scratch just from rolling them up and down. Don't put anything in the bed cause it will dent. Plows great though.

Favorite Features

The goods. Six speed stick tranny is great for snow plowing and starting off with heavy loads. Great A/C Great Heater The bench seat is wonderful and tough. The truck operates better with heavy loads on it. You can really load this pack mule down.

Suggested Improvements

Give me that old noisy power steering pump back. That sound was a ford trade mark! And it was tough. The only way to fix the speed wobble is to drive slow.55-60mph. run a hose from the Evap up to the motor compartment to keep it from sucking dirt. No Idea how to fix the ulta sensitive gas pedal.

'05 F250 4X4 5.4L 2DR GAS
By MICHAEL SCHROLL

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought used with only 11000 miles. Now has 36864 on it. Bounces and shakes uncontrolable after hit bumps. Cost $795 to fix rear brakes after they seized up for no reason. Others I've talked with had same problems. Only buy if needing 3/4 ton or large truck. Otherwise I'd stick with Toyota or Nissan.

Favorite Features

larger cab

Suggested Improvements

to many to list

V8 Auto: Good truck, but weak points.
By JamesK

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this truck new before moving from TX to NY, and for long distance driving with a trailer this truck was fantastic. The 5.4 V8 is adequate but could be stronger. At 22k I had to have a front bearing replaced due to water incursion, and while backing out of an icy driveway spinning tires, the xmsn had an internal failure that holed the xmsn case, and so at 27k back to Ford for warranty service again. I'm afraid of further problems when the warranty runs out so I've decided to trade the truck in. Overall, this is a top-notch hauling vehicle and great to drive on the long roads, but if you expect to use it for serious farm work or anything off pavement, you'll be disappointed.

Favorite Features

16k lb towing cap, comfortable for long hauls, feels very safe, sounds beastly with Magnaflow exhaust, minimal road noise, heater and a/c are fantastic, handling is great once suspension is broken in, spacious cab, mirrors are terrific for rear visibility, headlights are long- reaching and bright.

Suggested Improvements

Factory contitrac tires are poor, and shred easily driving off pvmnt, bearings are short-lived, transmission is weak and inadequate, suspension when new is jittery and prone to sideslip while cornering on bumpy road, gas mileage after 10k miles went from 14 mpg to about 11-12 mpg, mirrors need heat.

F250
By anjojake

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I love this truck. The fuel economy is not the best, but otherwise this truck does everything I need it to and more.

Favorite Features

Locking rear differential, vinyl floor covering, tall cab

Suggested Improvements

More tie-downs in bed, more driver- seat accessible storage in cab

F 250 TO THE RESCUE
By ghorwatt

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Replaced a '90 F150 which I also purchased new and was a mechanical nightmare. Swore I was never going to but another Ford truck ... oh well! My new F250 is a bare bones model that I sought long and hard for. It is a pig on gas (11.5 mpg local) but so was the previous 5.8 that had nowhere near the power. No problems so far. Rear tires spin easily and sometimes need 4x4 to start out. Probably due to no load condition & 60 psi in the tires.

Favorite Features

The ride reminds me of the days when I used to sell Kenworths & Peterbilts. I love the firm feel of the road and it steers great. I cannot say enough good things about it. Power application is smooth & swift and I like the looks better than gm or dodge. Hope I get 15 better years out of this one.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a few more nooks and crannies inside to place little items that you don't want to get lost. Wish Ford built more with vinyl seats as I had to get one custom made because I don't want any cloth in a vehicle that does work mostly in the boat business.