Used 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

My Dream Truck
By Sad Johnny

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I waited years to buy my dream truck. The Ford F250 Diesel Super Duty Crew Cab. The last truck I would ever need to purchase. I just brought my truck in to the dealer, water pressure in the coolant reservoir. Service people with out looking under the hood told me what was wrong. The oil cooler and EGR cooler would need to be replaced. If not caught in time serious engine damage, head gaskets and worse $5,000 and worse. To all out there with a 6.0 diesel or thinking of buying one, consider the oil cooler a maintenance item at 50,000 miles. Have it replaced. From what I have read while learning whats wrong with my truck this is the major cause of problems on this engine. Pass it on

Diesel Disaster 6.0 Turbo
By Dave

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Ford issued a recall for diesel emissions in late 2005, and blamed Ca Air Res Board for recall. NOT TRUE! Ford issued internal recall under state statute violation, and then recalibrated all 6.0 diesels. Performance dropped, turbos started blowing, mileage in the tank, continued issues with the EGR systems and oil leaks. THESE TRUCKS ARE TERRIBLE. I paid premium money for this truck, and am now in lemon law process and Ford is fighting me back and say nothing is wrong, but at the same time gave me 200K warranty on engine.. Yeah right. Piece of crap engine and NOT what I paid for and with this recall on problems they blame on CARB, as indicated by dealers, that is a flat out lie! Stay away!

It use to be the TORQUE it had until the Ford mandated recall when performance when in the toilet! They are lying about this recall. Do a Public Records Act Request from CARB on this issue. Right there in Black and white.

Yes, stay away from the 6.0 diesel. Ford knows they have a SERIOUS problem, and that is why they are buying them back in droves.

get the V10
By fxsti

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Very nice to drive, very comfortable on long-distance treks. Great stereo, great performance from the motor. I have owned many trucks; this one has a real "truck" feel to it, (which is why I bought it), but is much more comfortable than any I have had before it.

The brakes are amazing for a truck; the thing stops like a car.

My new 2004 F-250
By John E. Clift

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased my new F-250 with a Turbo-Diesel around April 2004. I started having trouble after about 6,000 miles. The engine would just shut down to an idle. You could not give it any fuel by the foot pedal. I had it in the shop approximately six times from 6,000 miles to 11,000 miles. It became very dangerous and unreliable. It quit on my wife while crossing a railroad crossing. The dealership said after many times at their shop that the problem was a connection and they supposedly replaced the wiring loom for the accelerator. I finally became so disgusted that I traded it off for a Chevrolet Diesel. I enjoy it very much. I have heard a few others with the same problem I had. Ford needs to fix this.

Find out why their electrical connections are not working.

I Love My F-250 Crew Cab Truck!
By P. Schlipf

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

After owning a Silverado Ex-cab for 6 years I can't imagine why we didn't buy this sooner. The F-250 Crew Cab diesel is so much fun to drive, has a huge interior space for the kids and all of our stuff, and it pulls our 27 foot camping trailer like it isn't even there! Ford outdid themselves on this beautiful truck. My Lincoln Towncar sits in the garage now that we have the F-250. The kids love to ride to school in it, and they ask me to pick them up after school in the truck because they can hear me coming around the corner. My husband flips up the rear seat and uses the back for extra cargo space, especially when it is raining. Our whole family loves this truck.

Oh, without a doubt my favorite feature is the backup sensor. It saved me a major problem in the first few days we had it. I was at Costco trying to back out of a parking space. I was clear, then a family walked out from behind a van and directly behind my truck. The beeper when off, thankfully!

Fold out cup holders in all of the doors. Headphone/earphone jacks in the front and back seat for the stereo. Outside temp guage. Stereo volume control in the steering wheel.