2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:
One Tough Truck
By toughtruck on 12/29/11 18:11 PM (PST)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

As of Dec 2011, I have owned this truck for over six years. It was bought new and I haven't experienced any problems during this ownership. The truck is used to pull a 24ft boat, large horse/cattle trailer, and utility trailer. Excellent interior space for front and rear passengers, more than ample pulling power, smooth transmission shifting, dashboard layout is exceptional, and multiple positions for rear seat storage/hauling/seating. As some posts mentioned gas mileage - a heavy duty truck was designed for pulling and hauling which makes gas mileage secondary. My next truck will definitely be an F-250 Lariat.

Excellent truck
By bruce52 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat Rwd LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned since new and now have 106,000 miles and still have original tires (bfg rugged trail) and brakes still look factory new. A quirk here and there but I'm looking forward to hitting 500,000

My Dream Truck
By Sad Johnny on 08/29/10 19:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I waited years to buy my dream truck. The Ford F250 Diesel Super Duty Crew Cab. The last truck I would ever need to purchase. I just brought my truck in to the dealer, water pressure in the coolant reservoir. Service people with out looking under the hood told me what was wrong. The oil cooler and EGR cooler would need to be replaced. If not caught in time serious engine damage, head gaskets and worse $5,000 and worse. To all out there with a 6.0 diesel or thinking of buying one, consider the oil cooler a maintenance item at 50,000 miles. Have it replaced. From what I have read while learning whats wrong with my truck this is the major cause of problems on this engine. Pass it on

Diesel Disaster 6.0 Turbo
By Dave on 01/16/10 12:04 PM (PST)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Ford issued a recall for diesel emissions in late 2005, and blamed Ca Air Res Board for recall. NOT TRUE! Ford issued internal recall under state statute violation, and then recalibrated all 6.0 diesels. Performance dropped, turbos started blowing, mileage in the tank, continued issues with the EGR systems and oil leaks. THESE TRUCKS ARE TERRIBLE. I paid premium money for this truck, and am now in lemon law process and Ford is fighting me back and say nothing is wrong, but at the same time gave me 200K warranty on engine.. Yeah right. Piece of crap engine and NOT what I paid for and with this recall on problems they blame on CARB, as indicated by dealers, that is a flat out lie! Stay away!

Sweet Sorrow
By Country1 on 10/29/08 16:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I can say, first off, that I am satisfied with my truck for the most part. However, there are a lot of expensive parts, mainly the transmission, which sells new for around $7,000. I drove this truck for a little over a year and didn't have any trouble with it at all and when I finally did - it has been a huge ordeal since. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be anyone that has any knowledge of that style tranny. The main problem is that there are way too many electronic components, which makes it impossible for me to even work on without fear of making a small problem a huge catastrophe. Whatever happened to simplicity?

Powerstroke Problems
By Bubba on 07/30/08 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat Rwd LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Very comfortable and a fine looking truck whose handling is amazing for its size and weight. However with less then 65K miles the turbo has failed, the high pressure oil pump has failed, and the EGR cooler has leaked. The oil is always changed at 5000 miles (a must for this truck) and while the warranty has covered the repairs the trips to the dealer are tiresome

Run Away!
By Reems on 11/01/07 21:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XL 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the truck new...shortly thereafter, when I would hit a bump at speed, the truck would lose steering, lose brakes, shake uncontrollably. make a sound like the end of the world. I took it in to be fixed. They claimed it was repaired 4 or 5 times!! Seriously dangerous stuff. I was bound to kill myself or someone else or whomever was driving it: my wife, mother, father-in-law. I spoke with Ford and got their TSBs...happens in a A LOT of the F250s(gas)! I asked to swap the truck out. No dice; they told me to Lemon Law it (Florida). I did...and won. Ford appealed the decision. This was about a year ago. We go trial (again) in January. When I win that case, Ford will appeal again

Best truck for carrying VIP passengers
By 1960baltimore on 07/15/07 10:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

My 6L diesel truck has about 36k on it now, and never had an unscheduled maintenance. None of my many Toyotas were this reliable. I have always gotten around 14 to 16mpg in town (hills and stop signs and long, long red lights in Meridian, MS). On the highway, I get over 23mpg if I am driving 55mph; as little as 18mpg if I am going 80 on a windy, rainy day, empty or loaded up and trailering. I have driven it in a hurricane (here, Katrina was all-day-long 45 to 55mph and the truck never felt unstable); my work can call me out at odd hours. It seems as fast as my '06 Corvette, and is fine for 6 snooty adults! Highly recommended!

Wouldn't own anything else
By Diesel lover on 01/17/07 00:52 AM (PST)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I've driven this truck back and forth in Texas and enjoy every mile of it. For a 10k lb truck, she drives like a dream. I test drove the Dodge and Chevy, but neither one offered the room or options that I got with my Ford. Haven't chipped it yet, but I am still getting 15-18 in city and 25 plus on the highway, as long as you stay out of the turbo and realize what you are driving and just kick back.

My F 250 King Ranch Truck
By Glosser on 07/02/06 13:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I found this vehicle excellent on the highway, comfort and acceleration is very good. I also found the truck to handle very nicely in town. Parking in a lot is a little difficult, but to be expected for a big truck. I have heard that Ford has a problem with this engine but this was not my experience. I am somewhat skeptical of buying another one because of the "lemon" factor. BUT mine has been very good. I have driven the new 2007 King Ranch version like mine, very little difference.