2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:
Awesome truck
By buddyguy on 02/28/14 06:51 AM (PST)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I drive my father's 2005 f250 4x4. The truck is incredibly rugged and powerful, 4x4 kicks ass! It plows snow with ease, tows a trailer like it's not even there, and is, in my opinion, pretty fast for it's size. The ford is definitely more of a work truck, but it still takes off and sounds awesome under heavy throttle. Always fires right up as it should on those 10 degree days in NH. I can't really think of any problems we've had with it, other than some brake issues caused by sitting too much.. Overall great vehicle I love it! But just remember it ain't no Prius, she is very thirsty!

One Tough Truck
By toughtruck on 12/29/11 18:11 PM (PST)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

As of Dec 2011, I have owned this truck for over six years. It was bought new and I haven't experienced any problems during this ownership. The truck is used to pull a 24ft boat, large horse/cattle trailer, and utility trailer. Excellent interior space for front and rear passengers, more than ample pulling power, smooth transmission shifting, dashboard layout is exceptional, and multiple positions for rear seat storage/hauling/seating. As some posts mentioned gas mileage - a heavy duty truck was designed for pulling and hauling which makes gas mileage secondary. My next truck will definitely be an F-250 Lariat.

Superduty or Superjunk
By gauner on 11/15/11 06:25 AM (PST)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this truck cause my 84 was so tough. This one is junk. Front end speed wobbles if you hit a bump at highway speeds dealer has tried to fix "NOT". 5 power steering pumps and one gearbox. Yes it will lock up on you. If you drive a lot of dirt roads the Evap sys will suck dirt in and dispose of it in your gas tank "Yippi' Clogging fuel filters. Why cause the inlet is by the back wheels and the dirt causes the sylinoid to stick open. That is the check gas cap you keep seeing. Hyper sensitive electric gas pedal make this truck hard to drive slow. Side window scratch just from rolling them up and down. Don't put anything in the bed cause it will dent. Plows great though.

Excellent truck
By bruce52 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat Rwd LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned since new and now have 106,000 miles and still have original tires (bfg rugged trail) and brakes still look factory new. A quirk here and there but I'm looking forward to hitting 500,000

Lemon
By Karianne on 09/06/10 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I had a 2005 F-250 4x4 diesel that was towed out of my garage 7 weeks after buying it for electrical issues. By the beginning of 2009 it had been towed a total of about 7 times to the dealer for not starting, once was right after Ford put THEIR own batteries in it, thinking that would "fix" the issue since they believe it was the Walmart batteries that were killing the engine (even though it didn't come off the lot with Walmart batteries).

Great truck
By Chet on 09/05/10 06:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I guess I'm the lucky one. In almost 6 years of towing I had vacuum pump go out that controlled the AC flow and a tubo hose blew off. We pull a 12,000 lb. 5th wheel from Florida to the Colorado Rockies each summer and the Powerstroke Diesel is an animal. It's almost fun to pull the big passes in the mountains as well as using tow command coming down. This engine is made to pull! After the warranty expired I did an EGR delete. This has been a major weak link with the '04 and '05 Powerstroke. The last time I had service the report was the brakes, tie rods,and suspension are fine. I had the computer reset to current Ford specs and drive, not towing, with a tonneau cover and get 18 mpg hwy

My Dream Truck
By Sad Johnny on 08/29/10 19:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I waited years to buy my dream truck. The Ford F250 Diesel Super Duty Crew Cab. The last truck I would ever need to purchase. I just brought my truck in to the dealer, water pressure in the coolant reservoir. Service people with out looking under the hood told me what was wrong. The oil cooler and EGR cooler would need to be replaced. If not caught in time serious engine damage, head gaskets and worse $5,000 and worse. To all out there with a 6.0 diesel or thinking of buying one, consider the oil cooler a maintenance item at 50,000 miles. Have it replaced. From what I have read while learning whats wrong with my truck this is the major cause of problems on this engine. Pass it on

Diesel Disaster 6.0 Turbo
By Dave on 01/16/10 12:04 PM (PST)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Ford issued a recall for diesel emissions in late 2005, and blamed Ca Air Res Board for recall. NOT TRUE! Ford issued internal recall under state statute violation, and then recalibrated all 6.0 diesels. Performance dropped, turbos started blowing, mileage in the tank, continued issues with the EGR systems and oil leaks. THESE TRUCKS ARE TERRIBLE. I paid premium money for this truck, and am now in lemon law process and Ford is fighting me back and say nothing is wrong, but at the same time gave me 200K warranty on engine.. Yeah right. Piece of crap engine and NOT what I paid for and with this recall on problems they blame on CARB, as indicated by dealers, that is a flat out lie! Stay away!

'05 F250 4X4 5.4L 2DR GAS
By MICHAEL SCHROLL on 06/28/09 05:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought used with only 11000 miles. Now has 36864 on it. Bounces and shakes uncontrolable after hit bumps. Cost $795 to fix rear brakes after they seized up for no reason. Others I've talked with had same problems. Only buy if needing 3/4 ton or large truck. Otherwise I'd stick with Toyota or Nissan.

F250 Violent,dangerous shaking
By scared2driveford on 06/01/09 09:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I was traveling on the I 280 south freeway with my daughter to a soccer tournament in my 2005 F250 4x4 super duty truck. We were in cruise control going approx 55 mph. We drove over what I believe was a large expansion joint on the freeway. Immediately after we traveled over joint, the vehicle start to violently shake and vibrate. After a tense moment of complete terror as the vehicle became extremely difficult to control and continued to shake violently we came to a unsafe stop on the freeway. After the complete stop, I immediately had to speed up again to prevent being rear-ended in the middle of the freeway. This vehicle is extremely dangerous and needs to be removed from the road.