Used 2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-250-super-duty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

Great Truck
By Richard Yager

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I tow a 10000+LB RV 90% of the time. My truck has the 6L diesel TS transmission. It is a super performer and handling truck. Love it. PS Do not like the low speed noise.

Favorite Features

Nice interior, very roomy and comfy. Like the looks and build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Less noise of diesel engine like Duramaxes.

2004 Ford F-250 6.0 Liter Diesel
By Ken

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle due to the emissions testing. But I never dreamed the truck would have this much torque and comfortable riding being an 8800 lb truck. I highly recommend the F250 Super Duty.

Favorite Features

Diesel engine, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Dual exhaust.

here's to the Triton v10
By chomp

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I felt the need to rate this since I found no v10 reports in here. I have only owned this a couple of weeks but enjoy it very much. The ride is stiff but what do you expect from a real truck. My previous truck was a Toyota Tundra which I liked very much but I needed a truck to haul a 5th wheel and Ford is it. No problems so far though it did come with 29 thousand miles on it. So I am hoping all the bugs are worked out. I do enjoy the the power and acceleration the 6.8 has and noticed no difference between the '04 and '06 I test drove. But it seems to take off and stop funny like on stilts or a sloppy tranny but will take that up with dealer.

Favorite Features

6 CD changer and speakers; it kicks with Toby Keith in. Also the heated seat is nice for those cold mornings. Road noise is at a minimum which is nice.

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE yes what should I expect from a v10? but 9 miles to the gallon with no load? hopefully the slight rough idle is gone with the new 3 valve series.

Expect Great Things ... For A While
By CalSurveyor

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This truck was everything I thought it would be. That is until the recall notices arrived. #1 was for a transmission problem that required the dealer to keep it for four valuable workdays. Following that visit, the "check engine" light was off and on intermittently. #2 visit was for a electrical harness problem. It required another four day visit to the dealer. Again, following that visit the "check engine" light was back on -- this time for good. When I called dealer, I was required to again take it in and leave it! Unbelievable. And to top it off - the only rental car available was a compact American car. Customer service means nothing to Ford once they've got your $$.

Favorite Features

When I have it, the truck can pull my travel trailer (10,000 lbs.) very easily. Even the steepest grades are made at 60+ MPH! Four full sized doors are nice, too.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the cup holders up front. Things tend to spill or fall when the slightest bump in the road is encountered. The coffee-stained carpet up front is the result. Improved lumbar support in the driver's seat would be a nice touch, too.

Powerstroke - Ford #1 priority is not quality
By Gary-Calif

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought a F250 Crew SB 4x4 in 9/04. Since 4/05; replaced front hubs (not releasing), replaced whole transmission even after recall fix was made 2 months earlier. Now in shop for engine problems, no power & thick black smoke. The 2004 has POOR turning radius, 2005 is smaller. Dealer has been great, but I think I got a LEMON! The diesel has the power but my unit does not instill confidence on a long trip. I've just been lucky my major part failures happened close to home. I used to trust Ford and recommend Ford, but not anymore.

Favorite Features

Power for towing, 14 mpg with my boat (~4,000 lbs.) and power to spare. Mileage is OK (14-16mpg city/highway, 12-14mpg towing), but my friends with earlier 7.3L Powerstrokes claimed better mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality. Had '89 F150 that had a never say "die" attitude regardless of what I towed or loaded up. My '95 could have used better brakes but never left me stranded. I'm just not trusting my 2004 with the problems I've had within 15K miles. Interior "pop-in" parts want to pop-out easily.