2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:
Fix or Repair Daily
By skikansas66617 on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XL 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

My 2004 F-250 diesel, 79,292 miles, has been at the local Ford dealership since Sept. 7th. There are so many diesels broken down, mine did not get pulled into the bay for work until the last week in Oct. It is still in the bay waiting an engine as of Nov. 11th. Over 2 months in the shop. They changed the oil prior to diagnosing blown head gaskets, could not confirm if water was in the oil pan. Diagnoses was to replace the head bolts, gaskets, EGR cooler, rebuild an over boosting turbo, at a cost of about $3,000.00. After the heads were deemed unusable, the cost went to $7,5000. With coolant possible in the lower end, I had to replace the engine- $15,500.

6.0 problems
By casualuser on 07/18/10 20:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Purchased with about 18k miles, ran well up to 2009 - started blowing oil filter off(and all engine oil out) - thought I had put filter on wrong - happened again and this time burned up turbo - Spoke with a mechanic - manufacturer of engine put faulty head bolts on engine - head started lifting up and pressure backs up into the cooling and oil systems - had it repaired (new head bolts, head gaskets, oil cooler, turbo and bypassed egr) now runs great.

"Powerstrokes" Died With the 7.3L
By Bob on 11/23/09 20:28 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Have had several ford Powerstrokes over time, the 6.9, 7.3, 7.3 turbo, and now a 6.0 By far, the 6.0 has to be the biggest peice of crap ford ever closed a hood over! Yes, I bought this truck used, but after hearing the problems that most other 6.0 owners have, I know that this engine is just prone to problems. My truck leaked oil from the day I bought it, 10 times in the shop and it still leaks. You also can't keep injectors in this truck. try $7800 for 4 injectors, and another attempt to patch an oil leak. did I metion they have to pull the cab off the truck to do just about anything to it? EGR valves, turbo replaced, 4x4 hubs replaced. Its Junk! and I have only put 20,000 miles on!

Too Many Problems
By JUrby on 10/25/09 16:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Truck has 90,000 miles. Have replaced two alternators, two turbo-chargers, one air conditioner compressor, and one left front wheel assembly. Now, radio stays on after you turn off ignition. Dealer says it needs a new $525 radio. Don't think so... Change oil every 4,000 miles and all maintenace is done. Disappointed in repair history and worry about future repairs.

same problem all the time
By truck'n on 06/24/09 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

i bought the truck used with 74000 miles on it and every 4500 miles its in the shop needing a new egr cooler other than that i love the truck ! iv got 160000 miles on it now and got a lift kit with aftermarket rims and firestone mud tires....the truck is unstoppable when its not in the shop

Great Truck-Love IT
By Jorge on 06/18/09 10:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

5.4 eng+4spd auto+4WD+4.10 lim slip axle= poor gas mileage,lucky to get 14mpg highway w/no load or trailer in tow.Another review reported getting 20+mpg highway with essentially the same set-up.They must drive downhill w/50 mph tailwinds all the time to get 20+mpg or they're dreaming.Poor gas mileage aside,it's a great truck.Wish it had the adjustable pedals.

Great truck.
By larry on 01/28/09 06:50 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I enjoy my truck so much. Great for long trips plenty of room for family of 5 with four door cab. The adjustable pedals and back up warning are great options. Had ton of rock on truck and it hauled it like it wasnt back there. Truck even rode softer with load on. No problems with truck just routine maintance

Do Not Buy
By das 1 on 09/29/08 10:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Purchased this truck brand new. Will never buy another Ford for any reason. 3 months after purchase the power steering would go OUT every time you stepped on the brake which made it impossible to drive in a parking lot or with a heavy load. Complained to dealer & Ford rep they refused to fix an obvious flaw. I also was afraid to drive the truck with any heavy loads because of the brake/steering problem. Explained to Ford & Dealer that this could seriously injure someone and they could care less. Finally got tired of fighting with them and traded for a different brand of truck.

I have been power "stroked"
By joe on 06/20/08 22:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought my first 1997 used F-250 diesel. $2700 injecters/$4000 transmission/a few thousand here and there for misc. After around $10,000 in repairs I thought "guess I better get rid of this truck". (and because it had developed a miss) I thought, "maybe because it was used?" So I buy a new 2004 and thought my problems are over. (some of you 6 liter owners are laughing with me (or at me) truck has 40k; been in shop between 20 to 30 times (several times there were no tickets) fuel injection problems, computer problems, turbo problems, new alternator, new fuse box, and the list goes on for miles and miles (unlike my truck, which is back- firing and missing now (3rd or 4th time in shop) Now its a quest. Junk

A big truck
By turkeymon on 06/09/08 02:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is a big truck with a lot of room inside. The fuel mileage really surpised me. I am getting 20+ mpg on the highway. I have the 5.4 motor, which has plenty of power for what I do. It is a great looking truck.