Used 2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

If you want to move the heaven and earth
By SooperDooty

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this truck to tow my 5th wheel RV. I've towed with several Expeditions in the past, this is my first diesel! Kudo's to Ford, the top selling pickup in the world...why? Because it gives you what you want a truck for. Towing, working, playing, great performance, great quality, no problems, reliable and good fuel economy! Try towing a 11,000 lb trailer with a Honda or Toyota! Not! All I've had to do as far as maintainance is oil changes, fluid changes, tires, batteries, etc. No reliability issues what so ever. Truck looks great, accelerates like a bull charging a matador, and gets twice the mileage as the Expedition I used to tow with. Seats 6 full size adults, too!

Big, powerful, economical, well made, easy to drive, thrilling acceration with the turbodiesel. Comfortable to drive for long distances, feels safe and secure. Big, heated, telescopic tow mirrors so you can see behind you and your trailer!

Wonderful vehicle, all the issues with this truck do not ammount to anything! And the new Super Duties have improved on virtually everything!I'll buy another F250 soon! Or maybe a 350!

Dumped by a diesel
By Frustrated WNY

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the 6.0L diesel, nothing but trouble; 6 injectors,1 turbo charger and exhaust tube, wiring problems at my expense now along with EGR valve, and continual door latch problems along with weather molding problems. Seems sad Ford in Detroit acknowledges problems but has no fix; told me not to drive it too much! More shopping around coming up - have had Fords for 30+ years, NO MORE. Cannot hold 65- 70mph speeds without engine shutter, no problems found by techs, and not the tires either!

Great power when operating correctly, fuel mileage also good for a big truck and good payload capacity.

Replace the 6.0L diesel at their expense, put the Duramax in it.

Expect Great Things ... For A While
By CalSurveyor

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This truck was everything I thought it would be. That is until the recall notices arrived. #1 was for a transmission problem that required the dealer to keep it for four valuable workdays. Following that visit, the "check engine" light was off and on intermittently. #2 visit was for a electrical harness problem. It required another four day visit to the dealer. Again, following that visit the "check engine" light was back on -- this time for good. When I called dealer, I was required to again take it in and leave it! Unbelievable. And to top it off - the only rental car available was a compact American car. Customer service means nothing to Ford once they've got your $$.

When I have it, the truck can pull my travel trailer (10,000 lbs.) very easily. Even the steepest grades are made at 60+ MPH! Four full sized doors are nice, too.

Improve the cup holders up front. Things tend to spill or fall when the slightest bump in the road is encountered. The coffee-stained carpet up front is the result. Improved lumbar support in the driver's seat would be a nice touch, too.

F-250 TURBO DIESEL 6.0L AUTO CREWCAB
By ROADTURTLE

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

THIS DIESEL HAS MORE POWER, AND MORE TORQUE THAN ANY TRUCK I HAVE EVER OWNED. IT'S GETTING 15 MPG AROUND TOWN. I HAVE ONLY 600 MILES ON IT SO FAR. FUN TO DRIVE, QUICK, RIDES GOOD, BUILD QUALITY IS EXCELLENT. THE CREW CAB 4 DOOR IS GREAT FOR HAULING ALL OF MY GRANDCHILDREN AROUND. TOWS MY TOY TRAILER WITH EASE.SO QUIET INSIDE YOU FORGET ITS A DIESEL. BEST OF ALL I SAVE ABOUT 20 CENTS A GALLON OFF FROM REGULAR GAS, AND GET BETTER GAS MILEAGE. 5 YEAR 100,000 MILE DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY IS GREAT. I LOVE IT.

THE LARGE FOUR DOORS. THE SOLID SHIFTING TRANSMISSION,AND THE POWERFUL DIESEL MOTOR. VERY SOLID BUILT TRUCK.

I WISH IT HAD MAP POCKETS ON THE REAR OF THE SEATS, AND IN THE REAR DOORS. I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A LONGER CENTER CONSOLE TO REST YOUR ARM. ONE LAST THING, I WISH IT HAD A COMPASS, AND OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE GAUGE.