Used 2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

What a hoss
By Sammy

2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

My powerstroke diesel crew cab has dragged my 11,000 pound fifth wheel all over America for the last three years without a whimper. There's tons of room inside, and we stay comfortable no matter how long the trip or how hot the weather. It pulls my house up pretty stout grades at 70 mph without downshifting, which is amazing to me. With the bedcover closed and not towing, I get 20 mph on the road at 75 mph and a consistent 17 around town. What's not to like?

Favorite Features

Lots of power and low end torque.

No Wonder SuperDuty Outsells Them All !
By Markwayne

2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 7.3L Powerstroke is an excellent "tried & true" diesel.I put a K&N air kit on & it roars and takes off like a bullet.Rides & drives better than mom's Cadillac. Though it weighs in @ 7,100 lbs., the 20mpg I get on the road is amazing. I have tested all the other makes. The fit & finish of Ford trucks is vastly superior to the cheap look & feel of the Chevy/GMC. The Super Duty overall design is well planned. I like the fact that the Super Duty is THE ONLY 3/4 ton truck designed & built as such with its own special heavy duty frame. Chevy/GMC/Ram simply install higher spring rates in their 1/2 tons and call it a "heavy duty".

Favorite Features

When you see this truck you know it is a 3/4 ton with its unique design. Chevy/GMC/Ram just look like any 'ol 1/2 ton. I am impressed with the safety factor of this truck.I have seen SuperDuties in wrecks @ high speeds & minor harm to folks. I like the ice cold A/C too.

Suggested Improvements

Only two minor things: Pad the center console lid and move the rear stereo speakers to the rear doors like the front.

Powerstrokin' It
By 26psiboost

2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This truck replaced my 99.5 SD SC PSD and there is a world of difference between the two. The 02 is much quieter and refined with major emphasis on NVH dampening. I added a Superchip 1700 programmer and this truck is incredibly fast and I gained 1 mpg with the cruise set on 80. The speed limiter is gone now and this truck with 3.73 does 117 mph on the GPS(not on public roads of course)! I can't wait to see what the 03 does with 6.0 and 5spd auto.

Favorite Features

Dual power captain chairs, Superchip 1700 and trailer tow mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

3.42 or 3.55 rear for us folks who don't tow heavy to increase mpg. This truck with the programmer will get 18 mpg all day at 80, but a 3.55 should get the rpm's around 1900-2000, which is the sweet spot for this motor when it comes to economy.

Overall I'm Pleased
By Hollen McGland

2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Got the V10 cause I'm a power freak and I couldn't pass up the 400lb torque figures. Thought I could live with the gas mileage and I guess I'll have to. 13.5 on hiway 9.5 to 11 around town. It is kinda fun to burn rubber in a vehicle this big though. I basicly bought this as a family car to replace my old Suburban. The only thing I'm missing is the 3rd seat and I saved about 7k over a similarly equipped Suburban. Plus I can haul bicycles and stuff easier now. Put a lockable tool box on it, after market, that serves as a trunk.

Favorite Features

Big doors and plenty of head room make it easy to enter and exit. I'm 6'5" and go about 3 bills and it's one of the few vehicles I don't have to pretzel my body to enter.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality of plastic in cup holders and door lock knobs.

GREAT EXCEPT FOR THE SEATS
By brucey72

2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

SO FAR I AM VERY PLEASED WITH MY TRUCK. THE V-10 HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH POWER FOR ME. STYLE AND LOOKS WISE, THE TRUCK IS A REAL HEAD TURNER. MY ONLY COMPLAINT WOULD BE THE SEATS. I CAN NOT GET COMFORTABLE YET. AFTER AN HOUR OF DRIVING, MY LOWER BACK HURTS. STILL TRYING TO REMEDY THAT.

Favorite Features

I LIKE THE ROOMINESS IN THE TRUCK. IT HAS MUCH MORE ROOM THAN MY TUNDRA.

Suggested Improvements

THE POWER SEATS NEED MORE LOWER BACK SUPPORT.