Used 2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford F-250-super-duty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

Never Again a Ford
By Alex

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

I have been a Ford man since day one. Since I purchased my F-250 in 2003, I have had the O rings replaced in the turbo 3 times, various oil leaks taken care of by the dealer, the rear end had a friction modifier installed to cure the slipping when going around corners, and now at 72,000 miles the transmission went. The dealer says Ford knows about the transmission problems, but wonít recall them, or help owners with them. I just spent $2,700 rebuilding the transmission with aftermarket heavy duty parts; the transmission shop says the Ford parts are garbage (Ford wanted $ 3000.00 with stock parts) Quality is Job one! Nice catchy slogan, too bad they donít mean it. Canít wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

The motor (made by International Harvester). It is a very comfortable truck to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Quality!Look out Ford, Toyota and Nissan are eventually going to eat your lunch in the truck market.

Great
By donny190

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XL 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

I owned a 1986 Ford F-250 Diesel. It has lasted 13 years with me. It had 300,000 miles on it and was still going strong. But I needed a newer truck. Looked for months; couldn't find one until I found a F-250 Powerstroke diesel. I am getting around 18 mpg. It is great going back and forth from work. Rides great, feels sturdy and feels like it is always going to stay on the road. I didn't get the shift on the fly because I go offroad a lot and work in construction. The diesel engine runs great and has a lot of power and it is nice to have a turbo on the engine.

Favorite Features

Diesel engine, the back seat has plenty of room, and it drives like a dream.

Suggested Improvements

Running boards standard; being 5'5" tall, it is just a little hard getting into the truck. I will be adding those soon. Have an airbag sensor, not a key to turn it off. Also give it just a little more power.

Terrific Truck
By Skip H

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

I've had this truck since May of 2001.I've never had any reliability issues and it does any thing I want to do.I pull a 26ft trailer all over the country and the power of the V10 is more than one really needs. The mileage isn't too bad for a truck of this size with a big engine,10mpg city and 16 to 18 on the road.

Favorite Features

I like everything about the truck.

Biggest truck I'll ever need
By Tony1790

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for over 3 yrs now and so far the only problems that I've had are a bad COP and I've had to have the 4x4 hubs replaced under warranty. I've heard problems with the tranny and spark plugs but thus far have not had any of those problems.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, 4 real doors and an 8 foot bed.

Suggested Improvements

Most already done with the '05's.

It's a pullin machine
By Steve Livingston

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

I have had this truck for nearly 4 years, and have not had any reliability issues with it. It has pulled our 10,500 pound travel trailer from Georgia to Montana and Wyoming, and to Maine. It has always performed superbly. I get decent fuel mileage when not pulling - usually about 16-17 in town, but I do avoid all the lights. On the highway I have gotten anywhere from 18 to an incredible 27 mpg (that only happened once - usually the upper limit is 22mpg). Pulling the trailer it gets around 12mpg - except on 8% grades, where it drops about 2mpg. I wouldn't buy another one because I don't plan on ever getting rid of this one!

Favorite Features

Room inside the cab front and back. Pulling power. Style.

Suggested Improvements

The '05s have all the improvements I would have suggested. Am almost tempted to get one, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this one!