2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:
Never Again a Ford
By Alex on 01/22/05 23:33 PM (PST)

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

I have been a Ford man since day one. Since I purchased my F-250 in 2003, I have had the O rings replaced in the turbo 3 times, various oil leaks taken care of by the dealer, the rear end had a friction modifier installed to cure the slipping when going around corners, and now at 72,000 miles the transmission went. The dealer says Ford knows about the transmission problems, but wonít recall them, or help owners with them. I just spent $2,700 rebuilding the transmission with aftermarket heavy duty parts; the transmission shop says the Ford parts are garbage (Ford wanted $ 3000.00 with stock parts) Quality is Job one! Nice catchy slogan, too bad they donít mean it. Canít wait to get rid of it.

Great
By donny190 on 01/13/05 17:35 PM (PST)

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XL 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

I owned a 1986 Ford F-250 Diesel. It has lasted 13 years with me. It had 300,000 miles on it and was still going strong. But I needed a newer truck. Looked for months; couldn't find one until I found a F-250 Powerstroke diesel. I am getting around 18 mpg. It is great going back and forth from work. Rides great, feels sturdy and feels like it is always going to stay on the road. I didn't get the shift on the fly because I go offroad a lot and work in construction. The diesel engine runs great and has a lot of power and it is nice to have a turbo on the engine.

Terrific Truck
By Skip H on 11/27/04 14:15 PM (PST)

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

I've had this truck since May of 2001.I've never had any reliability issues and it does any thing I want to do.I pull a 26ft trailer all over the country and the power of the V10 is more than one really needs. The mileage isn't too bad for a truck of this size with a big engine,10mpg city and 16 to 18 on the road.

Biggest truck I'll ever need
By Tony1790 on 11/27/04 06:33 AM (PST)

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for over 3 yrs now and so far the only problems that I've had are a bad COP and I've had to have the 4x4 hubs replaced under warranty. I've heard problems with the tranny and spark plugs but thus far have not had any of those problems.

It's a pullin machine
By Steve Livingston on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 2WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

I have had this truck for nearly 4 years, and have not had any reliability issues with it. It has pulled our 10,500 pound travel trailer from Georgia to Montana and Wyoming, and to Maine. It has always performed superbly. I get decent fuel mileage when not pulling - usually about 16-17 in town, but I do avoid all the lights. On the highway I have gotten anywhere from 18 to an incredible 27 mpg (that only happened once - usually the upper limit is 22mpg). Pulling the trailer it gets around 12mpg - except on 8% grades, where it drops about 2mpg. I wouldn't buy another one because I don't plan on ever getting rid of this one!

Poor transmission
By Marks V10 on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

Great looking truck with V10. MPG max 11mpg present with 39k miles 10.3 At 15k transmission had to be rebuilt by Ford. At 36k ignition system had to be replaced. At 39k transmission replaced by Ford with 36k Warranty. Trailers pulled by this truck 0. Good thing I purchased the extended warranty but it has still cost me several hundred dollars and the two transmission repairs took a month each. Wish me luck.

2001 Ford Super Duty 4wd Crew Cab
By thisisme on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

Overall, this is an excellent vehicle. Fun to drive and pulls great.

V-10 nightmare
By P.O.S. on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

Truck is great till the rocker arms all cracked and head was replaced,white paint somethimg wrong it is rusting everywhere!36,000 miles now and getting rid of it.Worst gas miles now than when i got it brand new

Quality is not job 1
By qualtiyone? on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

Other than the new transmission, transfer case, front wheel bearings, air bag parts, oxygen sensor and bad fuel mileage this is a great truck. Perofrmance wise it is great, although it does squat pretty bad with a full load on the back. I have a fisher 8' plow on the front and salt spreader on the back which the truck handles great. The fuel mileage is about 10- 11 mpg local 13 highway (with a 4:10 rear). If this truck had not given me so many reliabilty issues I would put up with the mileage but I feel Ford has failed on this one.

Rough Riding Rascal
By Western Plainsman on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 5M)

Unloaded, this pickup rides so stiff it's uncomfortable. Gas mileage on the V-8, A/T is 14 on the road, 10 hauling an antique car on a trailer. The power is sufficient, but that's about all. Now for the good stuff: It's surprisingly good in the mud in 4WD. This is a reliable, rattle free pickup.