2014 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

I couldn't be happier.
By Todd Christopher

2014 Ford F-150 STX 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I am a repeat Ford F150 customer. My previous F150 I had for 11+ years. That truck was the replacement for an F150 that I drove for 9+ years. My trucks haul firewood, lumber, gravel, building materials, etc. My new purchase is the '14 STX Supercrew 5.0L with the Sport Package, and Tow Package. I have about 500 miles on the truck and my avg mpg is 19.5. My home is on the top of a mountain and I travel over a lot of country roads during my day. My biggest surprises are the amount of room in the crew cab and the mileage. The 5L V8 has plenty of get up and go. I chose the 5L V8 because of my concerns about the longevity of the turbo charged V6. Because I keep my trucks long past any extended warrenty I could buy, I decided that the proven 5L V8 was my best option. The interior appears to be well done. The bucket seats are comfortable as is the rear bench seat. The truck handles like a truck should. If you are looking for a car like ride then look somewhere else. That being said the handling on this truck is miles head of my previous F150. I actually had planned to purchase a different make but ended up back at the Ford dealership. So far, I couldn't be happier.

Mushy suspension, mpg lacking
By tracker557

2014 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I have a light foot on the pedal but average only 14.5 mpg with 90% highway driving which is very disappointing considering the 3.5 turbo's claimed mpg of 21. Towing 7000 pounds at 65 mph however gives me 12 mpg: makes no sense. Ride should be stiffer. Seats very comfy. Should have more cabin storage. Incredible leg room in supercrew. Wish I bought an F-250.

Incredible cab room. Tremondous amount of options. Seats are very comfy and roomy. 6.5 bed is a very good size for me. The stereo sounds great. I love the rear radar feature.

A stiffer suspension number one improvement I recommend. Ford sync is not so easy but phone pairing is extremely easy. The cabin needs more storage compartments as does the truck bed area. The 3.5 liter engine has gobs of power but highway and city mileage do not come close to what Ford claims. Also the manual shift button for the auto Trans is in an awkward location. I think all auto makers should make cruise control easier to use like my Tacoma- push and set without having to look at what you're doing. The rear view camera could be bigger. Ford, please make it less boxy!

Ford appears to have a winner
By ohioengineer

2014 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 5.5 ft. SB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is my third F-150 in seven years, as I lease. I use my truck as a combination farm vehicle and general transportation; everything from towing a livestock trailer to picking up groceries to hauling my grandsons. I was pleased with my previous two F-150's and so far this one seems even better. It looks sharp (plenty of compliments), has plenty of power (2.7L turbo), rides like a car and handles very well. I am particularly impressed with the engine (see below)and the interior finish. So far the gas mileage has been disappointing - especially after all the hype - but I am hopeful it will get better over time. Overall a very good truck and one I would highly recommend.

My last F-150 had the 6.2L V-8, so I approached the smaller engine with trepidation. But the turbo 2.7 gets up and moves without hesitation. The only downside is the sound. To anyone who grew up with the throaty growl of a Detroit V-8, this engine will sound like a weak sister - but it definitely gets the job done. I also like the interior on this new model. In the past Ford has fallen short in this area, but now it feels much more comfortable sitting in the cab - very sharp, but still functional. Also, the auto lumbar support with the 10-way seats is fantastic.

Ford doesn't say much about the engine auto-stop feature, but be aware that the engine turns off and restarts every time the truck comes to a compete stop - part of the increased gas mileage effort. This is a little disconcerting, but Ford has made it pretty much invisible and it is quick enough that there is no hesitation in pulling away from a stop. However, there is no delay, which means if you are in a line of stop and go traffic, your engine will stop and start quite a few times. I would suggest Ford add a way for the driver to adjust the time delay. Also Ford claims they have beefed up all the essentials, but one has to wonder what the impact will be after 100,000 miles or so?

Actually a SuperCab xlt, option not available
By blackhillsron

2014 Ford F-150 FX4 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Wow, the 3.5 Ecoboost puts the fun back in the F150, pulls like a diesel, quiet as a mouse, smooth as silk, and the fuel mileage ain't bad either. Brought it home from the dealership this afternoon and might have to spend the night in it to. I pulled some mountains on the way home and with less than 50 miles on it and being as careful as I could, this baby wanted to pull. I can't wait to hook up a camper and meet the competition going over the passes and it's only a 6, must be something magically going on here, thanks Ford, had almost given up on you.

Still can't get over the 3.5 Ecoboost, others will come along when I am use to that.

Body but I guess that is being improved on in 2015 so will have to wait for a trade in three years or so.

2014 Raptor
By cary44

2014 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 5.5 ft. SB (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Great truck and fun to drive!

The wide track makes it super stable.