Great, but the Competition is Much cheaper
By aguywhowrite on
2012 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)
Cost $21,500 stripped. Now an additional $1,000 rebate. Quite a lot of car for the money. Ford has done an excellent job with this truck, but I argue that Ford has done a better job of causing the competition to cut prices, at least on the low end trucks. GM about $1,500 cheaper, with bed-liner, cruise control standard. Dodge maybe $1,000 cheaper with Hemi engine. Both have better warranties than Ford. Buying a car is bizarre these days. You have to look for the coupons that work. Are you with USAA? Are you a former GM owner? I'm not so I didn't buy GM. I happen to be a GM shareholder. Would that have counted? I forgot to ask.
Favorite Features
Crazy engine. 3.7L is only sane in comparison to twin-turbo Ecoboost. This thing revs easily to 7,000 rpm, and puts out 302 hp with only 226 cubic inches. It's kind of like James Dean's truck. Well appointed interior for a stripped truck. Value for money. (But see above). Truck is very civilized, but when Ford had to choose between suburban poseurs like me and working guys they defaulted towards the "Built Ford Tough" standard. I respect that.
Suggested Improvements
None, really, but be advised this truck really isn't geared towards regular gas. It just has a good knock sensor. Manual says to use 87 octane regular gas. Do you live at altitude where gas is 86 octane? Tough. Get 87 anyway (per manual). Truck "benefits from" higher octane gas (per manual).
By sunnyday3
on 03/31/12 14:09 PM (PDT)

aguywhowrite, So if I do not put exactly 87 octane in it then I may have problems? Also, a dealer just told me that all ford 150s are required to come with the flex fuel option. Does anyone know if that is true? I do not want to worry about sensors malfunctioning in the future ( I keep vehicles a long time)

By aguywhowrite
on 12/26/13 12:29 PM (PST)

Coming up on two year anniversary. No problems. ( Naturally, since I bought the Ford ESP extended warranty available on the 'net for cheap). I haven't put a lot of miles on the truck. I had my oil tested a couple of times and the fuel dilution that sometimes attends direct injection engines isn't here. (3.7L isn't direct injection). The Ford Intelligent Oil Life Monitor is dead-bang accurate, apparently, and evidently the Motorcraft synblend oil which I get for cheap at the Ford Fast Lane place works extremely well. Still frustrated by the relatively poor visibility of this truck. Don't care for its enormous size, even compared to a full-size truck of a few years ago--Its hard to reach over the side and just grab your stuff. Overall, its hard to criticize a truck for being too capable, though. Excellent value retention on this basic XL model if Edmunds appraisal tool is to be believed. Standard truck has the stuff you need, starting with the excellent 3.7L. I'm fairly certain it would tow maybe 3,500 pounds with no worries. Think twice about optioning up, to keep the depreciation in check.

By aguywhowrite
on 01/26/13 15:17 PM (PST)

Update on one year anniversary: Stand by my original comments, but get on puregas.org and find yourself some no-ethanol gas. A distinct improvement in on already impressive mileage and power. (18 mpg city!). Second-rate visibility (for a pickup truck) is the largest negative.

By aguywhowrite
on 05/03/12 17:12 PM (PDT)

I didn't notice anything when I put in the 86 before I read the manual. On the other hand, if Ford goes to the trouble to put something other than the usual yadda-yadda in the manual, I figure you had better pay attention. I also notice the truck gets distinctly better mileage with high test. Not quite enough to make up for the extra cost, but almost. For a new truck during break-in I will definitely pay it. The truck gets good mileage and has such a huge gas tank that I don't have much opportunity to experiment. I only fill it up every three weeks at most. I definitely would plan on using high test while pulling any kind of substantial trailer. (rated to 5,500 pounds by the way in basic trim, enough to pull an 18 foot travel trailer all day long). Knock sensors are a fact of life with all cars so I'm not particularly worried. For some reason, Ford lets on-line discounters to sell extended factory warrantys. "ESP" I bought a "basic" 100k 7yr warranty from one of the discounters, floodford.com for about $730. Troy Ford also sells them. P.S. Its kind of a subtle thing, but for a pickup truck this thing doesn't have all that great visibility. It has a slightly small back window and the extra tall sides mildly cut down on visibility too. A minor annoyance.

By john604
on 08/07/12 14:26 PM (PDT)

Just bought 2012 F150. I have had several F150 and loved them. Stupid me didn't test drive this truck. Bad vibration in steering column, seats, door panel and gas pedal. Ford says this is a characteristic of the truck nothing they can do. I went to another dealership and drove two trucks with different tire brands. Both had vibration. Service Manager told us he was aware of this and that Ford told him not to even try to fix it. Stuck with a vibrating truck and I pull a 32 foot trailer. Not pleasant. Has anyone else had a vibration?

By dlance54
on 09/03/12 07:59 AM (PDT)

@john604, No. No vibration up to 80 MPH. I have Michelins on mine. Wasn't at all happy with the ride I got on the test drive with Perellis. Felt like a rough ride. Michelin's are smooth as silk.