Used 2012 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

JUNK!!!
By Brian

2012 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

More problems than anything I have ever owned! Engine was replaced under warranty before I bought the truck (I was not told about this at the time I bought it. Dealer "didn't know"). After owning the truck for 2 years, it STILL does not run right. Tired of taking it to the dealer. Transmission is GARBAGE. Very sloppy shifting and has developed a slipping problem between 2nd-3rd gears. Numerous squeaks and rattles throughout cab. Rear window defroster overheated and caused window to shatter. Had to fight with Ford to get SOME of the cost covered under warranty. Very sloppy repair job, broken glass in the bed and under the back seat when I picked the truck up. There is rust all over the body, the truck is impossible to align. I am sure I am forgetting a few other things as well. Warranty support from Ford is WORTHLESS!! Either they cannot duplicate/diagnose problems or Ford will not cover the repairs under warranty. Do not let them fool you with "bumper to bumper" warranty coverage! Ford should be embarrassed!

OK truck but beware of the 5.0 engine
By f150nottafan

2012 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

Just my opinion from my experience, I have 29K miles on my 2012 F150 XLT 4X4 Super Crew 5.0 and so far am not impressed with the quality. Between the wind noise, rattles, engine ticking,and knocking along with oil consumption issues there is no way in the world I would do the F150 5.0 over again. Google 5.0 Coyote knocking or ticking. And check out any Ford truck and F150 forums online and look it up even the Mustang forums are lit up with concerns and complaints about the new 5.0's. I been wanting to get a F150 for a long time but now that Im here Im going back to a Tundra as soon as I can. Again this is just my personal opinion/experience.

Looks/Style

Fire the heads of 5.0 engineering dept. You had a chance to knock it out of the park with the new line of engines but failed again. With Fords engineering platform there is no excuse for the issues people are having. Knocking and loud ticking is not something to strive for when designing engines, and should never even exist with your present technology. Im new to Ford trucks and I can tell you I dont think Id ever buy another. The quality just doesnt seem to be there, especially in the drive train. Engine noises should be a priority.

Best of the best
By honda007gb

2012 Ford F-150 FX4 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

This truck is amazing in all ways you would need a truck. I have owned or driven just about all the different brands and let me tell you nothing beats this F-150. I have had 90,000 trouble free miles out of my ecoboost. Most people that complain about mpg's do not understand the point of this engine. It pulls like no other 1/2 ton on the road today. There are many compairson videos avalible. The hemi,chevy 6.2 are no match to the low end at a lower rpm. If driven right you can get above the mpg listed with an empty truck and not towing. No other crew cab has near the room this truck does. With the flat floor and the rear seats up, you have a very large space to haul inside the cab. Awesome

Sync/navigation. Being able to talk hands free is sweet. Tailgate step and bed extender have been very handy.

Buy american or there will not be an america. This is the only crew cab 1/2 ton still built in the USA.

good work truck
By ltg48864

2012 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

bought a 5.0 L V8 (no EcoBoost), basic work truck no extras, drove a chevy for 10 years and it took time to get used to Ford (drives like a truck), have had no problems and used 4x4 many times this winter with no problems, good towing capacity MySync is terrible (i have the base version) i would not buy the extras because it would quickly add cost with little extra enjoyment of the truck

build towing dependibility

Fuel milage MySync extras add to cost quickly

DUPED BY ECO-BOOST MPG
By flaf150lar

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I too was duped by the MPG that Ford so proudly advertised you'd get with the new Eco-Boost 3.5L engine. I have had mine a year. I have a friend who bought the 5.0 v8 F150 and his gas mileage is far better than mine. Makes me mad since I paid more $$ for this engine to get less MPG. I would not recommend this engine to anyone unless you were pulling something all the time. Someone mentioned lights leaking, mine are also leaking and the visor mirror is in need of repair as the lid won't stay closed. Wish I would've listened to some of the reviews I read when I was buying this truck. My advice is don't buy the chrome package either, it turns out its all plastic and hard to keep clean.

Air conditioned seats, smooth ride, big back seat.

Make the truck with a tighter turn radius, improve gas mileage on Eco-boost or stop misleading people. Do something about leaking headlights and design a hood that will hide the wiper blades. Put gasket/molding around windshield to prevent easy cracking from rocks hitting the edge. Put lights under hood for the $$ these cost. more storage space needed under back seats.