Used 2012 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

OK truck but beware of the 5.0 engine
By f150nottafan

2012 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

Just my opinion from my experience, I have 29K miles on my 2012 F150 XLT 4X4 Super Crew 5.0 and so far am not impressed with the quality. Between the wind noise, rattles, engine ticking,and knocking along with oil consumption issues there is no way in the world I would do the F150 5.0 over again. Google 5.0 Coyote knocking or ticking. And check out any Ford truck and F150 forums online and look it up even the Mustang forums are lit up with concerns and complaints about the new 5.0's. I been wanting to get a F150 for a long time but now that Im here Im going back to a Tundra as soon as I can. Again this is just my personal opinion/experience.

Favorite Features

Looks/Style

Suggested Improvements

Fire the heads of 5.0 engineering dept. You had a chance to knock it out of the park with the new line of engines but failed again. With Fords engineering platform there is no excuse for the issues people are having. Knocking and loud ticking is not something to strive for when designing engines, and should never even exist with your present technology. Im new to Ford trucks and I can tell you I dont think Id ever buy another. The quality just doesnt seem to be there, especially in the drive train. Engine noises should be a priority.

Best of the best
By honda007gb

2012 Ford F-150 FX4 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

This truck is amazing in all ways you would need a truck. I have owned or driven just about all the different brands and let me tell you nothing beats this F-150. I have had 90,000 trouble free miles out of my ecoboost. Most people that complain about mpg's do not understand the point of this engine. It pulls like no other 1/2 ton on the road today. There are many compairson videos avalible. The hemi,chevy 6.2 are no match to the low end at a lower rpm. If driven right you can get above the mpg listed with an empty truck and not towing. No other crew cab has near the room this truck does. With the flat floor and the rear seats up, you have a very large space to haul inside the cab. Awesome

Favorite Features

Sync/navigation. Being able to talk hands free is sweet. Tailgate step and bed extender have been very handy.

Suggested Improvements

Buy american or there will not be an america. This is the only crew cab 1/2 ton still built in the USA.

good work truck
By ltg48864

2012 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

bought a 5.0 L V8 (no EcoBoost), basic work truck no extras, drove a chevy for 10 years and it took time to get used to Ford (drives like a truck), have had no problems and used 4x4 many times this winter with no problems, good towing capacity MySync is terrible (i have the base version) i would not buy the extras because it would quickly add cost with little extra enjoyment of the truck

Favorite Features

build towing dependibility

Suggested Improvements

Fuel milage MySync extras add to cost quickly

DUPED BY ECO-BOOST MPG
By flaf150lar

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I too was duped by the MPG that Ford so proudly advertised you'd get with the new Eco-Boost 3.5L engine. I have had mine a year. I have a friend who bought the 5.0 v8 F150 and his gas mileage is far better than mine. Makes me mad since I paid more $$ for this engine to get less MPG. I would not recommend this engine to anyone unless you were pulling something all the time. Someone mentioned lights leaking, mine are also leaking and the visor mirror is in need of repair as the lid won't stay closed. Wish I would've listened to some of the reviews I read when I was buying this truck. My advice is don't buy the chrome package either, it turns out its all plastic and hard to keep clean.

Favorite Features

Air conditioned seats, smooth ride, big back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Make the truck with a tighter turn radius, improve gas mileage on Eco-boost or stop misleading people. Do something about leaking headlights and design a hood that will hide the wiper blades. Put gasket/molding around windshield to prevent easy cracking from rocks hitting the edge. Put lights under hood for the $$ these cost. more storage space needed under back seats.

FX2 w/ Ecoboost
By chevy80c10

2012 Ford F-150 FX2 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

Well i traded in my 04 z71 ext cab for this thing. At first i was extremely impressed with the power the ecoboost had, especially over chevy's 5.3. Over time though (its been a year) I honestly wished that i kept my silverado. The advertised gas mileage is a croc. I barely get 20 out of it on the highway with cruise on. TX speed limit on most of the highways i travel is 75, and i barely can get over 18 with it. If you are looking at one with a 5.0 go with that, at least you know youre getting near your advertised mileage. The low end torque is great for pulling but its not that much different over the 5.0 honestly. This truck had a hefty price tag and i wouldnt buy one again.

Favorite Features

Sync system when it works. Low end torque of the Ecoboost and gas mileage in town (45-55mph)

Suggested Improvements

all of the plastic crap interior panels (DASH, DOOR PANELS) have a real tilt system on the column instead of a cheap up/down system. FX packages and anything as expensive should come with a good sound system and not have to upgrade. for 40k dollars i should have better speakers than what will come in an XL package. Oh and a manual transmission option would be great but i know thats a thing of the past unless you buy a dodge 2500+ Changing the oil in this thing is an absolute hectic experience you will make a mess and whoever designed that, has obviously never changed oil.