Ecoboost great concept, terrible execution in first year!
By tri_guy on
2011 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)
When it works, the 3.5L twin turbo V-6 known as the "Ecoboost" is amazing. 21+ mpg, 365 HP & 425 trq. A great combination of daily driver with nearly 10K tow capacity. First 55K miles were great, but the 2011 EB relies on multiple ECU "systems" to attain this peak performance, and if anything is not working perfectly, mileage, power, and driveability fall-off quickly. Ford still has not acknowledged any issues that do exist with the 2011 version of this motor. Humidity. Coils. Valvetrain rattles at startup. Hood shaking misfire at idle. Black on chrome tailpipe. I would not buy a 2011 EB again. Maybe 2014, now that the 2011 bugs Ford never admitted have been worked out. 2011 EB - Stay away!!
Favorite Features
The truck is solid, Sync is cool technology, but doesn't work consistently enough, but no one buys an F150 to get Sync. We buy these trucks to get stuff done, and this truck hauls, tows, drives over, around, and through almost anything a 1/2 ton owner would dare throw at it. EB issues aside, the fit and finish of the truck is exactly what you would expect from Ford. I've driven ford trucks for 25 years now. I took a risk of buying the EB motor in the first year it was produced. I thought hard about this, but trusted Ford to have produced a quality product with the EB. I wish I hadn't, as I'm now looking to swap it for a 2014 EB to be rid of the svc appts for "no issue" with this motor....
Suggested Improvements
Ford factory service (not the dealers) are trained to listen to your concern and then tell you there's nothing wrong with your truck and it was designed to make lots of unusual noises, get poor milage after the warranty runs out, and that the longevity of the engine will not be impacted by the valve-train having no oil when you start the truck every morning. Stay away from the 2011 EB, this is not a motor that will last 200-300K miles as my last several Ford trucks have. I'm trading my 2011 EB for anything else as soon as I can. Ford Engineering's response, "We acknowledge the EB motor noise, it is normal and will not affect the longevity of the motor. There is no issue. Have a good day."
By fwayned
on 10/31/14 10:15 AM (PDT)

Hold on there Partner...Your experience with the Ecoboost 2011 isn't indicative of all or even most of these trucks. My own experience after a fleet of EB powered 2011 and 2012 Suprecrew F-150's is starkly opposed to your experience. My company drives an average of 60,000 miles per year per driver. We cover every territory in the US. Of all of the models we have owned, not one has had a major failure, or even troubling issue. Yes, we have to change spark plugs at about 50K miles on each, and there have been some small items such as a vaccuum pump that was required to replace, but the truth is, these are fantastic, modern engines. The proof? Every one of the drivers tried to purchase the trucks back from our company when their normal replacement at around 120K to $130 K miles was reached. Ford made hundreds of thousands of these and Sorry to hear your experience was one of the few that wasn't good. But there are far more out there that are doing everything right. with miles and with heavy use. I say don't hesitate to get one. I did so myself, and my wife now loves the 2011 I purchased at 126,000 miles. Not one complaint, and still gets 18 in town, and 22 on highway. We may never return to conventional v8 engines. And yes these certainly last to 200K miles.. we are doing so now!