Used 2011 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Own up to your problems Ford or we won't own You!
By dannieb

2011 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Do Not buy a Ford Ecoboost. My husband & I bought a 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost we loved it so fun to drive, but 70k miles in we started having engine issues. Took it in to the dealer for them to tell me the timing chain was shot and it was a $4k fix with no guarantee that it would fix the problem. A quick google search of this vehicle and I was shocked to see we were not the only one with this same exact issue. There are YouTube videos and forums galore about this engine issue and No recalls from Ford. We got rid of it yesterday before it left us broke and on the side of the road. I won't be returning to a Ford anytime soon after that bad taste in my mouth.

Roomy cabin, comfortable seats, sleek finishes.

Engine issues

Air conditioning problem!
By jimcomoe

2011 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased the 4x4 with Eco Boost, and its been a great truck. I get many compliments on the look, the royal blue color, and the chrome (plastic) grill. It has 40,000 miles, and just recently I experienced a problem with the air conditioning. When I turn it on, it starts rattling and making a lot of noise. I have to turn it off then back on again several times before it stops. One other minor complaint is when I wash it, drive off, and roll down the windows while it is still wet, a lot of water comes inside. I wish it had those lips above the windows to catch and divert the water running off, like in the older models. It is very likely I will purchase another one in the future.

Mediocre
By spenceratx

2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought the 2011 XLT 4x4 ecoboost supercrew as I needed a larger truck for kiddos. Having driven a Tacoma, that I LOVED, for 13 years, the Ford was going to have to win me over. The acceleration was strong, and the tech features on the inside were pretty good, but that's where the positives ceased. The looks were bland. As others mentioned, the fuel economy was well below advertised - 14.5mpg in mixed driving in the winter. The turbo would flutter on and off under very light acceleration. I didn't want to be holding the bag when it fell apart so I sold it. I come from a Ford family, but if this is what the best selling truck is. No thanks. I'm driving another Tacoma(4D), and love it.

acceleration, size

Fuel economy, turbo on/off, looks. Why can't Ford make a truck that looks offroad aggressive, but doesn't come with the cost of the 11mpg 6.2L. Toyota did it right the Pre-runner. Offroad creds, but without going overboard.

2011 F 150 4wd ecoboost experience....
By jpope02

2011 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

When its well its great! Purchased NEW, Doors clunk on rough road surfaces. Been adjusted at dealership 4 different times. Doors still clunking. Ford has NO solution and will not admit to the problem....numerious calls to Ford customer relations been stonewalled! They can't fix this in warantee but say NOW it can be fixed out of warantee if I pay for it! This is @%x#!!!. Timing chain "Death Rattle"... Ford say this won't hurt a thing till it breaks or jumps time and and destroys motor Ford ignored this in warantee but says it's a $2800 problem for me now it's out of warantee...Comfortable,fun truck to drive!! Oh, poor millage.. don't believe Ford's 22mph claim, it' more like 12 mpg!

Rides great, very comfortable. Will poke a hole in the wind when not in shop. Huge back seat. WILL PASS EVERY THING ON THE ROAD EXCEPT A GAS STATION.

Fix the Door alignment issue. Fix the timing chain stretch/ tensioner DEATH rattle issue. Get more miles out of a set of plugs! [now on set #4, just turned 70,000 highway miles]@ $340 per set installed at dealer all at my expense! Work on better MPG. No one driving one of these gets near the advertised mpg You claim. Try being More open with the public and addressing customer issues rather trying to cover up short comings with stonewalling techniques. Remember, We are Your customers! You are not OURS! We all have choices as to what brand we drive, I hope thatmine will again be a Ford!

Ecoboost great concept, terrible execution in first year!
By tri_guy

2011 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

When it works, the 3.5L twin turbo V-6 known as the "Ecoboost" is amazing. 21+ mpg, 365 HP & 425 trq. A great combination of daily driver with nearly 10K tow capacity. First 55K miles were great, but the 2011 EB relies on multiple ECU "systems" to attain this peak performance, and if anything is not working perfectly, mileage, power, and driveability fall-off quickly. Ford still has not acknowledged any issues that do exist with the 2011 version of this motor. Humidity. Coils. Valvetrain rattles at startup. Hood shaking misfire at idle. Black on chrome tailpipe. I would not buy a 2011 EB again. Maybe 2014, now that the 2011 bugs Ford never admitted have been worked out. 2011 EB - Stay away!!

The truck is solid, Sync is cool technology, but doesn't work consistently enough, but no one buys an F150 to get Sync. We buy these trucks to get stuff done, and this truck hauls, tows, drives over, around, and through almost anything a 1/2 ton owner would dare throw at it. EB issues aside, the fit and finish of the truck is exactly what you would expect from Ford. I've driven ford trucks for 25 years now. I took a risk of buying the EB motor in the first year it was produced. I thought hard about this, but trusted Ford to have produced a quality product with the EB. I wish I hadn't, as I'm now looking to swap it for a 2014 EB to be rid of the svc appts for "no issue" with this motor....

Ford factory service (not the dealers) are trained to listen to your concern and then tell you there's nothing wrong with your truck and it was designed to make lots of unusual noises, get poor milage after the warranty runs out, and that the longevity of the engine will not be impacted by the valve-train having no oil when you start the truck every morning. Stay away from the 2011 EB, this is not a motor that will last 200-300K miles as my last several Ford trucks have. I'm trading my 2011 EB for anything else as soon as I can. Ford Engineering's response, "We acknowledge the EB motor noise, it is normal and will not affect the longevity of the motor. There is no issue. Have a good day."