Used 2011 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Worst Purchase of my Adult Life
By Hugh

2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

Coming from a Toyota/Honda - you WILL be disappointed in a Ford. Sure, it has more gadgets, flashy interior, updated styling, etc.. but the maintenance and expensive repairs will eat you alive. Compare either at 100K miles and the difference is clear. The Good: Big fuel tank, means less stops. Interior is nice, Color (Mine is Blue) is really nice. Big back seat area. Also, I was able to get 21-22mpg out of mine during road trips. The Mediocre: Handling and Suspension is just meh. Lackluster is the word. Also, the traction control is a joke compared to my old 2013 Tundra. In 2wd, I was getting stuck in the exact same places that my Tundra would just crawl through without any wheel spin. The Ford would dig a hole and then cut engine power. The 5.0 Engine seems weak for the size of the truck, it does the job, but struggles with a small trailer or load in the bed. The Bad: At 86K miles, this truck needs MAJOR work. It's sad. Rear main seal is leaking enough to leave spots in the driveway. Steering Rack needs replaced due to the "Service Advance Trac" light that is coming on almost daily, which leaves a dead spot in the steering and cuts off the turn signals as well. These are issues that most trucks had covered under the factory warranty, so known issues, but these issues didn't pop up until later. The driveline has a gnarly clunk when leaving from a light or during heavy acceleration. Was told it needed a new driveshaft and slip yoke. Power Steering lines are starting to leak around the fittings. Why this truck is a total turd: For the money, this thing just cant compete with a Tundra. I can get a 2015 Tundra Limited with many more features, a bullet proof driveline, and better warranty and service. The local ford dealer is kind enough, but acknowledge that these issues are known in these trucks, but can't do anything for us. Toyota has always taken care of it's customers, many times well after warranty if it's a known issue. Not finding that kind of support from Ford unfortunately. Resale - ugh... I'm looking at losing 6.5K in just 1/2 a year, in order to avoid all these costly repairs (totalling nearly 5K in just 6 months) from trade-in value. However, given that I simply don't have faith in either the Manufacturer or the product, it's a loss worth taking to get away from this vehicle.

Own up to your problems Ford or we won't own You!
By dannieb

2011 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Do Not buy a Ford Ecoboost. My husband & I bought a 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost we loved it so fun to drive, but 70k miles in we started having engine issues. Took it in to the dealer for them to tell me the timing chain was shot and it was a $4k fix with no guarantee that it would fix the problem. A quick google search of this vehicle and I was shocked to see we were not the only one with this same exact issue. There are YouTube videos and forums galore about this engine issue and No recalls from Ford. We got rid of it yesterday before it left us broke and on the side of the road. I won't be returning to a Ford anytime soon after that bad taste in my mouth.

Roomy cabin, comfortable seats, sleek finishes.

Engine issues

Air conditioning problem!
By jimcomoe

2011 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased the 4x4 with Eco Boost, and its been a great truck. I get many compliments on the look, the royal blue color, and the chrome (plastic) grill. It has 40,000 miles, and just recently I experienced a problem with the air conditioning. When I turn it on, it starts rattling and making a lot of noise. I have to turn it off then back on again several times before it stops. One other minor complaint is when I wash it, drive off, and roll down the windows while it is still wet, a lot of water comes inside. I wish it had those lips above the windows to catch and divert the water running off, like in the older models. It is very likely I will purchase another one in the future.

Mediocre
By spenceratx

2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought the 2011 XLT 4x4 ecoboost supercrew as I needed a larger truck for kiddos. Having driven a Tacoma, that I LOVED, for 13 years, the Ford was going to have to win me over. The acceleration was strong, and the tech features on the inside were pretty good, but that's where the positives ceased. The looks were bland. As others mentioned, the fuel economy was well below advertised - 14.5mpg in mixed driving in the winter. The turbo would flutter on and off under very light acceleration. I didn't want to be holding the bag when it fell apart so I sold it. I come from a Ford family, but if this is what the best selling truck is. No thanks. I'm driving another Tacoma(4D), and love it.

acceleration, size

Fuel economy, turbo on/off, looks. Why can't Ford make a truck that looks offroad aggressive, but doesn't come with the cost of the 11mpg 6.2L. Toyota did it right the Pre-runner. Offroad creds, but without going overboard.

2011 F 150 4wd ecoboost experience....
By jpope02

2011 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

When its well its great! Purchased NEW, Doors clunk on rough road surfaces. Been adjusted at dealership 4 different times. Doors still clunking. Ford has NO solution and will not admit to the problem....numerious calls to Ford customer relations been stonewalled! They can't fix this in warantee but say NOW it can be fixed out of warantee if I pay for it! This is @%x#!!!. Timing chain "Death Rattle"... Ford say this won't hurt a thing till it breaks or jumps time and and destroys motor Ford ignored this in warantee but says it's a $2800 problem for me now it's out of warantee...Comfortable,fun truck to drive!! Oh, poor millage.. don't believe Ford's 22mph claim, it' more like 12 mpg!

Rides great, very comfortable. Will poke a hole in the wind when not in shop. Huge back seat. WILL PASS EVERY THING ON THE ROAD EXCEPT A GAS STATION.

Fix the Door alignment issue. Fix the timing chain stretch/ tensioner DEATH rattle issue. Get more miles out of a set of plugs! [now on set #4, just turned 70,000 highway miles]@ $340 per set installed at dealer all at my expense! Work on better MPG. No one driving one of these gets near the advertised mpg You claim. Try being More open with the public and addressing customer issues rather trying to cover up short comings with stonewalling techniques. Remember, We are Your customers! You are not OURS! We all have choices as to what brand we drive, I hope thatmine will again be a Ford!