Used 2009 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Ford's leak water
By fordsstink

2009 Ford F-150 FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

At 40K miles rain leaked into both back doors and dribbled across the roof of the car, dripped down behind seats and puddled up their. Called the dealership and Ford, both parties said since it's after 36,000 bumper to bumper the diagnosis and fix of the problem regardless of a design flaw would be the responsibilty of the trucks owner. So they want me to pay money to a Ford dealership so they can tell me how Ford's design of the vehicle is flawed, then they want me to pay for the repairs. This makes no sense to me. Both the dealership and Ford did nothing to help with this situation and handled it poorly. Wouldn't buy another Ford.

Suggested Improvements

Design flaw. Ford's trucks should not allow rain in the vehicle only after 40K miles. This doesn't speak well of the design and customer or vehicle owners should not have to pay for their mistakes.

Research the transmission before you buy the '09
By testagrande

2009 Ford F-150 FX4 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I absolutely love my truck, except for the transmission. I developed a leak in the tranny case within the first 1500 miles of owning it. Also, I don't believe Ford worked out all the bugs with this new 6 speed. I have hard shifting in the first 4 gears (anything below 35 mph) and a stuttering downshift from 2nd to 1st. The dealership keeps 'flashing' the transmission computer, because it is supposed to be adaptive. I have had mine flashed 4 times, and I still have the same problems.

Favorite Features

I absolutely love the size, styling and overall comfort of the interior. The backseat is huge, the technology is great (iPod & Bluetooth integration) with the Sync system - it all makes it a fun truck to drive. The exterior styling is also an improvement.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully the transmission issues were fixed in the 2010 & 2011 models.

Great truck!!
By jbspray_77

2009 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Wanted to write a review right when I got this truck, but figured I'd give it a few miles. After only logging 12,000 miles on my previous "brand X" truck, and taking it to the service department monthly, I am extremely please with me F-150. This is my first ford truck, and it won't be my last. Very comfortable, reliable, and tastful interior. It functions great in regular truck duties, and as a family hauler. I found a dealership that sold for $100 over invoice, so I ended up getting this truck for almost $7000 under sticker. Gas mileage is, however, dismal. I don't have a heavy foot, but do drive in traffic daily. I average about 15mpg.

Favorite Features

Favorite features..all of them. The easy to use touch screen infotainment system, the heated and cooled seats, and the large seats and mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Heated rear seats. Or remote start on all models, not just the top of the line Platinum. Chevy puts it on just about everything.

I keep raving about it!
By j.m.

2009 Ford F-150 FX4 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Yes it's me again. I just keep on reviewing this great truck (read still wowed from 10/13/2010) and still raving about it. Only problem is, I recently had a chance to drive 2 of Ford's new 2011 F150 engines. first was a 5.0 powered Lariat 4x4 with a 3.55 rear. Versus my 5.4 and 3.73 combo, this truck steadily outpaced mine. Torque happy down low for being just 5.0 liters, yet loves to rev and run on the highway. Next was a 4x4 FX-4 with ecoboost 3.5 and 3.73 rear, supercrew 5.5 bed, WOW! Fast! NOT FAIR! Now i will admit the ol' 5.4 seems a lil tepid, after driving these two beasts. Very refined sounding, 5.0 sounds sexy!! I still love my 5.4 powered 2009, but ...

Favorite Features

I just put in an order for a 2011 5.0 powered supercrew 6.5 foot bed fx-4 with 3.73 rear. Not only the engine, but the updated for 2010 and up brakes, new electric steering, and multi function lcd display are phenomenal! The rest of the truck will be same as my 2009. My cousin is buying my 09.

Suggested Improvements

Why couldn't Ford have been 2 yrs earlier with these engines? I do have to say, this 09 is AWESOME! With 50k on it, still feels brand new. Not one hiccup. My 05 FX4 with 105k still GR8 also. Resale GR8 on my 09, cousin buying it from me. He is excited to get my 09, and I am excited for my 11.

F 150 STX 4X4
By Truck Guy

2009 Ford F-150 STX 4dr SuperCab 4WD Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck brand new. Not the fastest truck but 20 MPG hwy & 15 MPG city is very good for a full size V8 truck. This is mostly thanks to my truck having the updated 4.6L 16V with the 6 speed transmission. This truck is Lexus quite too. Only sound is the exhaust which sounds like a quite version of the old glass packs (very sweet). Only problem I've had with this truck is any time I have an electronic device in the truck (cell phone, GPS, MP3 player etc) the tire pressure monitor goes off. Dealership recommends I not us electronic devices? Other than that truck seem very tough and reliable. Easy to park due to turning circle. Highly recommended if your looking for a truck.

Favorite Features

Quite ride, great stock exhaust note, gas mileage, rubber floor, 6.5' bed, turning radius, dash design & looks.

Suggested Improvements

Tire pressure monitors that are more resistant to interference, smoother transmission & standard spray- in bed liner.