Used 2009 Ford F-150 FX4 SuperCrew Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford F-150 SuperCrew

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Dependable Reliable Tough
By Josh K

2009 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 FX4 SuperCrew in 2012 with 49,000 miles on the odometer. It is now 2016 and my truck now has over 195,000 on it. I drive this truck A LOT, as you can see. This is the first time writing a review for a vehicle I've owned, but I felt that I had to share my experience with perspective buyers.
I have changed the oil exclusively with Ford Motor Craft oil and filters based off of the dash computer oil life calculator. I have done all scheduled service either myself or at the dealer. This truck has never let me down. Aside from oil changes and brakes, I have replaced both front upper control arms, front hub actuators, spark plugs, and serviced the rear diff, transfer case, engine coolant, and replaced the tires and battery. In 150,000 miles, I would say that is very minimal maintenance, and I couldn't ask for anything more.
My fuel mileage has been consistent since the day I bought it. My transmission shifts smooth, 4x4 engages easy smoothly, and the ride is still smooth, quiet and comfortable.

If you are looking for a reliable, comfortable and capable truck, the 2009/2010 F150 with 5.4 v8 is the truck for you.

Research the transmission before you buy the '09
By testagrande

I absolutely love my truck, except for the transmission.
I developed a leak in the tranny case within the first 1500 miles of owning it.
Also, I don't believe Ford worked out all the bugs with this new 6 speed.
I have hard shifting in the first 4 gears (anything below 35 mph) and a stuttering downshift from 2nd to 1st.
The dealership keeps 'flashing' the transmission computer, because it is supposed to be adaptive.
I have had mine flashed 4 times, and I still have the same problems.

I absolutely love the size, styling and overall comfort of the interior. The backseat is huge, the technology is great (iPod & Bluetooth integration) with the Sync system - it all makes it a fun truck to drive. The exterior styling is also an improvement.

Hopefully the transmission issues were fixed in the 2010 & 2011 models.

Looked at too much junk
By 737driver

I looked for 1-2 year old ones to replace my 2000 and was not finding what I wanted for the money. I am very happy I decided to go with new. I have been getting between 18-19 with the 373 limited slip rear end. Most of used trucks I looked at were beat up or they wanted almost new price. I got mine for invoice. Been very happy with truck so far. The transmission and fit and finish I feel are quite nice for the price and it is a quiet solid truck.

Transmission, Sync, Leather

Do have to jump on the headrest wagon not being comfortable. Not to the point yet of pulling it out or turning it around. You get used to it.

Best Truck Out There
By Nick

It took me 1 year, researching the Internet and 50 test drives of every truck out on the market to make my decision but I chose the 2009 Ford F150 FX4 for my family. Interior was by far the best and back seats were very roomy. This is the truck to buy Here are my takes on the rest of the trucks Dodge Ram Hemi 4X4 Crew- Interior still looks cheap and Hemi makes a whole lot of sound and no go. Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Crew- Very fast truck but interior was off key and frame not as strong as the domestic three. Nissan Titan 4X4 Crew- Decent truck but mpg was the lowest and the ride was jittery. Chevy/GMC Trucks 4X4 Crew- Back seats where for children only and interior was cheap.

Back Seats, very comfortable and roomy. Not much has put this truck apart from the rest except that this truck is well put together and all of its features are easy to use. It is just a well thought out (listening to its customers) truck.

The only thing I would improve is the motor. Once this truck has the new 5.0 V8 and the EcoBoost 3.5 V6 both producing 400 horsepower and 400 lbs of torque, this truck will be start stealing market share.

Great Truck...
By Wally

Ford has really done there homework on this one. I traded in my 2007 Dodge Ram for my new 2009 F-150 the only thing I miss is the hemi engine. Other than the lack of a little power over the hemi this truck is light years better than the Dodge in every other way. This truck is fun to drive! The power from the new 5.4 is nothing to laugh at though. This will serve me just fine. The only thing I notice is the inside door panels push you in the truck to keep you away from the windows so as in an accident your not in the way of the side curtain air bags. This makes it just a little uncomfortable however nothing you couldn't get use to. Look around at this truck, you'll find a lot of neat things!

The "SYNC" system is unbelievable. The room in the cab is almost as much as the "Super Duty's" The safety Ford built into this new 2009 is next to none. I also like the sound of the exhaust, Ford also redesigned this to make it sound throatier. The six speed transmission makes this truck jump alive.

Grab handle on the driver's A post. Ford also needs to come up with a solution to stop the nasty break dust! They put nice wheels in these trucks just to have them all yucked up with break dust. I only have 600 miles on my truck and I'm thinking about having the brakes done with better brake pads.