Used 2008 Ford F-150 XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

good buy
By raygu

2008 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I would buy this truck again! I bouhgt this truck new in northen Canada for 17554.00 on the road. No trouble with 100248 klm or 62000 miles. the reviews back up the truck !

Super Truck Awesome value!!
By willy47

2008 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I had promised myself that I wouldn't buy another American made car (truck). Capital Ford in Raleigh, NC ran an ad at a price I couldn't pass up. After a rocky start on the price negotiations my salesman, (Martin Clark) went above and beyond the call duty, he got the owner of the company involved! The owner showed me the truck and the features and assigned his personal assistant to deal with me if I had any problems. (I was told that never happens). I bought the truck with no test drives and have had no complaints. The folks at Capital Ford are as nice as they can be. From what I can tell, they lost money on the deal, even then they are as nice as they can be.

Favorite Features

The 4.2L engine and 5 spd manual are awesome, with 9,000 miles on it I drove to Wisconsin from North Carolina and averaged 19.6 mpg at 70-80mph. With a 1200 lb load I averaged 18.6 mpg at 70-80 mph on the flat and 17.6 on the WV turnpike. Same speed. I can control the rpms which helps the mpg a lot.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a manual transmission with the V- 8's, a diesel with manual trans. Quality of this truck is right up there with Honda (we have owned a lot of them!).

6 Months and Perfection
By Tex77

2008 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

So far a great truck. Purchased when fuel was over 4dollars/gal and when 09's were coming end= what a deal!! Chrome, cruise, automatic for 11K :). Love the truck, not a single problem.

Favorite Features

NO problems yet!! Drives great, Looks same, Pulls the trailer just fine. Interior is basic but nice. Lots of storage behind seats. ( I put bins there)

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel needs to be a little smaller diameter. Seats could use more padding.

I thought it would be better
By D. Hamblin

2008 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the truck new. Have not had any actual "problems". The truck drives just fine. Seems like when you go over a bump the bed "moves" no noise and everything feels tight, but you can see movement. On a windy day I have to fight to get to 70 MPH. Feels liks something is pushing against me. Truck feels underpowered. Has a slight rough isle at stoplights. Dealer says it's normal, Ford has "leaned out" the motor at idle for imissions regulations. I wish I had bought the V-8. 4300 miles now. Really wish it had more power. My 1997 S-10 had more power.

Favorite Features

Looks and the height of the truck. sits very nice. Cabin space is great for a standard cab.

Suggested Improvements

Wheels and tires on XL do the truck an injustice. Too much black plastic on the front of the truck. Chrome please. (plastichrome at least) Give me a CD player on a $17,000.00 truck, come on Ford! Put the cruise buttons in it too, would make it a good bargain then.