WALLET
By jks on
2007 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)
Now that I own the 5.4 liter, FLEX FUEL VEHICLE, F-150 4x4, I am realizing a very poor "gasoline" fuel economy of about 10 MPG highway which is much less than the 18 MPG that was posted on the window sticker. E85 is much worse. The non-adjustable seat bottom revealed itself as a rear end problem after the first 200 miles. I am not sure what the engineers at Ford were thinking when an adjustable seat bottom was not added to the lower lines of pickups. I would have been happy with even a manual adjustment. I don't think that these problems are going to disappear as my wallet gets much thinner.
Favorite Features
The ergonomics of the cab are well done as all controls are convenient and intuitive. The 4x4 shift on the fly is a great feature. The stereo is pleasurable due to the quiet ride of the vehicle. The 8 foot bed makes this more of a useful truck than the numerous passenger trucks on the road.
Suggested Improvements
Amongst comparable makes, the 300 horsepower 5.4 liter engine is a sad experience in performance and economy. Since fuel economy worsens while using E85, how could FORD advocate alternative fuels with such a poorly performing engine/transmission set up? The F150 is an obvious contradiction.