Bad Ford Design
By spedie on
2007 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCab Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)
I bought this truck used in May 2013 with 95K on it, one previous owner. Truck now has 100,3xx on it. I took it to the dealers for the 2 part spark plug problem of which 3 of the 8 broke off. Cost: $674. Then shortly after was pulling away from a stop light. The center bearing went. Found out shortly that truck has "disposable drive shaft" and center bearing cannot be replaced. Cost: $1400. Picked up truck from that repair, only to find out that left front wheel bearing is now bad. Estimated cost will be over $400 IF the rotor is not damaged. I have had truck only 15 months, drove only 5K miles with it. Good maintenance records from 1st owner. BAD truck with a bad design. Don't buy one.
Favorite Features
Roomy cab, nice design on the inside. Too bad I cannot enjoy it as truck sits outside with no ability to drive it as I save for the next $1K repair.
Suggested Improvements
Stop designing trucks that parts cannot be repaired without major expense. A $50 center bearing shouldn't cost $1400 to repair. Spark plug replacement shouldn't cost over $600!