Who woulda' thunk, me in a King Ranch!!
By tomerikac on
2006 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)
So here I am, searching craigslist, cars.com, the newspaper and anywhere else to replace my 15 yr old Dodge Ram Laramie for something with a backseat for my two growing kids. I mean I looked everywhere for about 2 years, harrassing car salesmen for the best deal, checking out Rams, Frontiers, F150s, Silverados, Tacomas and Tundras. Then I run across a small ad on craigslist for a 2006 King Ranch crew cab for $20,500, 37k miles. So I call and a previous caller had already talked her (yeah owned by a 55 yr old woman) down to $19.5k. So I made sure I was the 1st to see it, deposited $100 because it was in near mint condition and cannot believe it's mine.
Favorite Features
These things look absolutely marvelous, inside and out. Mine is dark cooper metallic, buffed out, 20" rims. The interior is, of course, the castano leather, clean, quiet, and spacious. It runs extremely smoothely and quietly, and once I aligned the front end, tracks very straight. Overall, it is luxurious. Something, I thought I would never own. It is fully loaded (except 4wd and sunroof), and some features I enjoy are the electrical foldaway mirrors, courtesy lights, auto ac controls, back up assist, etc. And, of course, I just love the soft dark leather on the seats. The truck so far (1 yr. 9k miles) has been very dependable with no repairs or problems.
Suggested Improvements
I'm only getting 15.5 mpg, but fortunately carpool and only drive about 9k a year. I keep thinking that I could sell it and pocket a few grand but just can't bring myself to do it. Funny thing is, my kids prefer going places in my wife's 2002 Kia Sedona because their seats fold way back for naps.
By frozentundram
on 03/02/14 09:50 AM (PST)

Mine gets 16-18 mpg on the road, 13-15 mpg in city. I use synthetic oil and put in a K & N air filter. I have an XLT, which weighs a few pounds less. Get a ScanGauge II and you can track you gas mileage better. The 5.4 likes to go, but if you drive it modestly, you can get better gas mileage. I've gotten almost 20mpg when the temps is in the 50-60's, no A/C on and driving about 60-65 mph.