2006 Ford F-150 4.2L V6 5-speed Manual 6.6 ft. Bed Consumer Review - Gone downhill

2006 Ford F-150 - Consumer Review

XL Regular Cab Pickup (4.2L V6 5-speed Manual 6.6 ft. Bed)

Gone downhill
By Craig Zeigler on

2006 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck to replace my 2004 4.6L with the hoped of getting better fuel economy while towing. I have a 22' travel trailer that weighs about 6000 pounds when I'm traveling. On a trip from Sarasota Fla, to Disney in Orlando, I managed 8.5MPG at 65MPH. The truck is really straining to go any faster than that. When I arrived, I had a pungent oder of overheated transmission. On the return trip, I slowed down to 60MPH and managed to get to 9.1MPG. On the way back the cruise control keeps disengaging itself after about a hundred miles. When I arrived, I checked the transmission fluid, and it smells burned. My dealer says there is nothing wrong.

Favorite Features

The way the truck drives, and handles.

Suggested Improvements

Make the A/C actually blow cold (My 2007 Toyota Corolla almost freezes me out). Make the brakes not spongy and provide a better pedal feel. Most importantly. Make the transmission actually work and increase the fuel economy. Ford is way behind everyone else with their engine and transmission.