2006 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Sort Reviews by

I love this truck
By huntingfisherman

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCab XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in my old V-6 2WD F-150 for the large towing capacity and because 2WD on the ice around here is horrible. My first impression was same truck bigger engine, but as time passed I noticed a lot of little things Ford did to make this truck better than previous models. The mirrors are bigger it has a softer ride it rides higher than previous 4x4 models and it drives like a compact car. I can swing the truck in and park where i couldnt have before. Backing up is easier with the larger mirrors and the added horsepower without the huge loss in fuel economy are huge assets.

Favorite Features

Larger mirrors, smooth comfortable braking, the automatic headlights, smooth transition while shifting gears, great towing capacity, interior design and ease of use, rear windows go all the way down-great for the dogs, large back seat, great in off road conditions

Suggested Improvements

Obvious gas mileage, loud warning indicators, maybe an engine block warmer option, step rail needs to be further out

Love this truck
By hbtexan

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCab XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd pickup. I love this truck. I have used it a lot to haul tools, quadrunner, furniture you name it. I am surprised how well the back seat works for kids, dog, etc. I feel like I got a very good value with this truck and hope to pass it on to my son in 10 years.

Favorite Features

6.5ft bed, I drive dirt roads a lot and for 2wd it seems to handle them well with BFG all terrain tires.

Suggested Improvements

Tie downs could be a little bigger.

Excellent Truck
By Pete

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCab XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy this truck. It feels very solid, and is very quiet in all driving conditions. I was surprised when I got 18+ mpg on a trip I recently took. It is a comfortable and fun truck to drive. The supercrew has plenty of interior room when driving the family around, and can haul or carry construction related material with ease. I find the truck to have more than enough power. The power sunroof is huge ,and it feels like I'm in a convertible with all of the windows, the sunroof and rear slider open on a warm sunny day.

Favorite Features

Power moonroof and sliding rear window

Suggested Improvements

None

Extreme Disappointment
By cafenick

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCab XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The Ford 5.4L is woefully underpowered. It is sluggish and is a total dog in the mountains as well as when towing. I do like the interior fit and finish as well as the functionality of the layout.

Favorite Features

The look of a Ford truck is second to none.

Suggested Improvements

The engine needs some serious attention!

2006 F-150 Review
By Brian

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCab XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My experience with my F-150 was the worst experiance I have ever had with a vehicle. The build quality was extremely poor. Within the first 6 months all fuel injectors had to be replaced. The stitching on the front seats came apart not once but twice! The headliner came apart. The outside mirror fell off as I was driving. My exp. with the dealership regarding these issues was also poor. It will be the last Ford vehicle I ever have!

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

build quality! My father owns a 2003 F-150 he purchased new and has not had any problems with it. Looking at both trucks it was obvious the 2003 had much better fit & finish. I don't know what has happened at Ford, but it is truly a shame to see an American vehicle of such poor quality.

Horrible Seats
By Gomer

The F150 for me has the worst seat comfort out of any truck on the market bar none. I can't get comfortable no matter how hard I try and the seats are as hard as a rock. Other than the seats, the engine is severely underpowered (5.4) and the transmission is sluggish. I don't recommend this truck to anyone unless you want to be uncomfortable. The previous generation F150's were much better in my opinion.

Favorite Features

Bold exterior looks

Suggested Improvements

Better seats, smaller armrests, better engine performance, less hesitation in transmission, more options in XLT models, better mpg

Gone downhill
By Craig Zeigler

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCab XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck to replace my 2004 4.6L with the hoped of getting better fuel economy while towing. I have a 22' travel trailer that weighs about 6000 pounds when I'm traveling. On a trip from Sarasota Fla, to Disney in Orlando, I managed 8.5MPG at 65MPH. The truck is really straining to go any faster than that. When I arrived, I had a pungent oder of overheated transmission. On the return trip, I slowed down to 60MPH and managed to get to 9.1MPG. On the way back the cruise control keeps disengaging itself after about a hundred miles. When I arrived, I checked the transmission fluid, and it smells burned. My dealer says there is nothing wrong.

Favorite Features

The way the truck drives, and handles.

Suggested Improvements

Make the A/C actually blow cold (My 2007 Toyota Corolla almost freezes me out). Make the brakes not spongy and provide a better pedal feel. Most importantly. Make the transmission actually work and increase the fuel economy. Ford is way behind everyone else with their engine and transmission.

F150
By EARL

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCab STX 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

For a full size truck you cant beat the power. I tow a 1969 s&s Hearse 6000 lbs and it's like towing a small camper. Almost don't know its there! But as far as gas mileage goes might as well pour the gas out onto the ground gas mileage is only 18 on the highway at best.

Favorite Features

Power, 5.4, can't beat it

Suggested Improvements

Needs comfortable seating and more fuel mileage

Ugh, the fuel!
By Hard to please

I have owned some of the best middle class American vehicles including a Dodge van with the best motor ever, the 318! However the 2006 F-150 is the best all around vehicle this picky 6'-4" body has ever driven! The only drawback is the fuel cost. Which is everybody's right now. But, 16 mpg combined driving is ridiculous in the 21st century. Buy this truck if you have a big wallet, you don't care about your "carbon footprint, or if your like me you hope that in a couple of years there will be a motor conversion so that it can run on water.

Favorite Features

I love this truck. It is comfortable. It is stable. It is also a very good looking truck. it sits you up high.

Suggested Improvements

Two small things. One is the small storage under the rear seat. And the other is the bad positioning of the oil filter. Oil changes for us that still change our own oil tend to get a little messy down the arm.

Great Truck.
By Steve

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCab FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I don't have this truck anymore but I had it for almost 2 years and put 24000 miles on it. I had to get rid of it early because I was about to go over the mileage for the lease. This truck was great, the only reason I didn't buy it was the bed was too small. I've never had any problems with it. The gas mileage wasn't bad for the way it was driven. I averaged 14-16 going to work and on long trips around 19. The power was good but i wanted a little more so the Edge chip worked great for that, like a whole new motor. The chip also improved gas mileage too. It was great on the beach, towing and the interior was really roomy and comfortable. I'm looking to get another one soon with a 6.5 foot bed.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride. Good looks. Great audiophile stereo, and nice fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power. Recommend getting the 6.5 foot bed if you are planning on putting atv's in the bed.