Used 2006 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

King of trucks
By Jeff

2006 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second f-150 and what a blast to drive, it handles amazing! With more power than you need in the 5.4. I have pulled loads over 11000 pound and can still easily pass on the freeway almost like there’s nothing behind the truck. For work its tough as nails can handle any thing you need to do I put this truck through a lot and it never missed a tick! Extremely reliable.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, and I absolutely love all the torque the mighty 5.4 pushes out can tow almost anything you hook to.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy but Ford is taking care of that for the 09 model and will have the new direct inject for 2010 which get better emissions than the hybrids. I get 15 mpg in town and 21 on the highway. Not too bad for a big 4x4.

Was in love
By Ca Native

2006 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr SuperCab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Even though I had an idea that the MPG would be far less than I would like, it was like going from the ridiculous to the sublime. Around town I average 12/14MPG, Highway, 15/16MPG no load. I pulled a 23' Travel trailer for 6000 Mi. and averaged 9MPG! That little trip coast us $2,000.00! Power from the 5.4L, V-8 is not that good at all on the climbs with trailer...the flat is fine. While I might consider the F- Series truck again, it would be Diesel powered. This truck has been very reliable. Ride quality is much better than a GM product. GM has the power and now MPG edge. JCH

Favorite Features

Reliability, ride quality, looks, driver visability. Fit & finish is good.

Suggested Improvements

Increased gas, V-8 HP, torque and MPG, diesel engine option

Good machine
By Coloradoguy

2006 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Though I have extremely low mileage on my truck, I have been very pleased with it overall. Suspension is very stiff, but that adds to payload capacity and handling, therefore worth it. The rack and pinion steering does require driving proficiency, so not for everyone (I like it). Mileage is better than average in real world use. Mostly city is about 18 and highway I have gotten 21.5 (in mountains), using 85 octane. The five speed manual is a bit on the stiff side, but feels very stout as one would expect for a truck transmission. CD Stereo has amazing sound quality.

Favorite Features

High profile for 2wd truck. Virtually no lean on cornering. CD stereo has exceptional sound quality. Fuel economy in actual use is very good. Stainless exhaust system. Brakes are awesome! Huge rotors front and rear and they work. Mine is red and looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother shifting 5spd (suprisingly it is made in Japan??). Armrest really needs storage area. Window crank placement stinks! Power of 6 is ok with 5 spd, but 4.2 liters could do more..

Don't buy this truck!
By steve

2006 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 6.5 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new last year. I travel alot for my job, so I need something comfortable and reliable. When I was in Mississippi, I was driving about 30 mph on a back road when it sounded like I hit a roadside bomb. My truck stopped. I got out only to find a huge puddle of coolant, pieces of metal and what I later discovered was transmission fluid. they towed the truck to a Ford dealership in Memphis Tennessee, and found out that my transmission blew up. The force cracked the engine block, broke the suspension, broke the radiator, and cracked the truck's frame! So I was stuck 7 hrs away from home with a totaled truck, trying to find a new car, and I missed my daughter's birthday!

Favorite Features

Interior comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the problem with the automatic transmission. Make future F-150s have better fuel economy!

My F-150
By LUIS

2006 Ford F-150 FX4 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I used to drive a Silverado and its performance was OK, but its interior design cannot compare with the one from the F-150. Now I can pull more weight as my boat and work requirements demand. Its engine is quiet and powerful, so I recognize that I have to maintain it properly.

Favorite Features

Towing capacity. Comfort, fuel capacity and EPA fuel consumption. Style is beautiful.

Suggested Improvements

Improve and change radio antenna.