Used 2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

2006 5.4L xlt 4x4
By canrinusace

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck, ive had it for a year and half. Was a little gutless when I first purchased it, but after switching out my Battery, changing to full synthetic 5w30, with top a top end oil filter, and air filter I was able to bring out that awesome triton power. Towed 10k lbs on a ball from Calgary to medicine hat (mostly flat with a few long grades 3-6%) and I hardly could tell I had so much weight back there. This truck has seen mudding in the mounts, towing across country, hell I drove it threw a river, got a squeaky belt and kept right on going lol. In town she looks good, when its time to work shes ready to go. There are issues with these trucks, however I haven't got any yet!

Favorite Features

Massive towing (3.73 4x4 with locking diff, trailer brakes) Comfortable ride (old man ford style) Great in slippery conditions although the backend is very light! Shes a looker! I get many comments on the look of my truck :) Roomie!!! I am 6'3 and 370lbs, I require space and this truck has it in spades! And how bout all that triton power, first off if ur looking to race people with your truck, get a ram, if your looking to I donno pull the how on earth can ur truck handle that, this is the truck for you!

Suggested Improvements

Ford really needs to do something about the spark plug issue, I do have the updated motor that was released in mid 06 to help resolve the issue, however im still worried and am due for my plugs to be changed. Also with research its been found that the ports wear out over time and a heavier oil is required to remove the triton tick, as the valves wear out in the aluminum blocks over time and require a thicker oil to continue proper lubrication, ford should have stuck to forged steel in there blocks for this motor, despite the increased price for it! LT tires are a must, its a heavy truck and off pavement driving on anything but LT tires destroys them.

Good Truck Just Typical Ford Reliability Issues
By mjm714

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck look wise and quality wise. Very reliable the first 80k miles; now experiencing occasional stalling in reverse and when coming to a stop. My solution since there was no code to go off of: put a new fuel pump module which cost me $160 for the part which I installed myself to save an additional $400. My original fuel pump module was mildly corroded. Hope it solves my prob after taking it to Ford and them not knowing how to diagnose, solve, and fix.

Favorite Features

The paint (if you keep it waxed) and the looks of the truck.

Suggested Improvements

Better engineering; like typical Ford vehicles reliability becomes a factor when climbing up the miles. Very unacceptable in my book, as the consumer spends big bucks early on and has continue to keep their vehicle on the road safely.

Problems after 100,000 km
By catrunner953

2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Flareside 6.5 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck when it had 59,000 km. Never had any problems exceot for an odd ticking noise when idling. Seems as soon as I hit 100,000 km things started to go. Between 100,000 and 120,000 km the window regulator on my drivers door failed...window simply dropped. I started to get a rough idle and the check engine light came on and ran very bad just long enough for me to pull over, but suddenly it smoothed out. Odd clunking noise from the rear end and shifting started to get rough. Then a fuel injector went, plugs went, catalyctic went. Great truck until 100,000 km. Sell it at 99,000 or you will be sorry...

Favorite Features

Great looks! Nice ride.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability . A 100k truck is pretty sad.

Transmission Problems
By hphcanalfulton

The transmissions are junk in these trucks and Ford Motors will not even acknowledge that there is a problem with their design. A person with a normal job making less than $40,000 a year cannot afford both maintenance and the payment on one of these trucks.

Suggested Improvements

Ford Motors needs to take a second look at the design flaw and fix it accordingly.

06 F-150 SUPERCREW 4X2 XLT (5.4L)
By

Going on 6 yrs now with mine, and 34,500 miles. Never skips a beat , and have done all sched maintenance. No problems with the 5.4L so far, but seems a little sluggish. On my 2nd set of tires; the tires from ford only lasted for 34000 and started to split. Hope to go another 6yrs with this truck then trade it in for a new one. Quiet ride with little road noise .

Suggested Improvements

Would like a little more power out of the 5.4L seems sluggish when getting on freeway ramps.