Work Truck
By rodger on
2005 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)
I wanted a bigger truck to replace my Ranger, but couldn't find what I really wanted - a big truck with good gas mileage. I typically drive a lot of highway miles at high altitude and high speeds on long trips and needed more power, speed and comfort than the Ranger could give and this truck does it all. From carrying 20 8ft railroad ties with the tailgate up to driving 800 miles per day or commuting. I think that with a tonneau cover I could regularly break 20 mpg, I regularly get 19-19.5 on the highway and up to 16 mpg in town. Interior has great space and is well designed. Low wind noise at speed and handles very well. Outright acceleration could be better but torque is sufficient.
Favorite Features
Supportive and comfortable seats, with loads of storage room behind them. The steering is light, direct and precise. I love the optional manual transmission and the clutch action is light and precise. Styling is good, but could be more aggressive in base models.
Suggested Improvements
Optional manual transmission on V8 motors, lighter weight, and get the V6 gas mileage to 20 or better on the highway.