2005 Ford F-150 4.2L V6 5-speed Manual 6.6 ft. Bed Consumer Review - First truck, and loving it!

2005 Ford F-150 - Consumer Review

XL Regular Cab Pickup (4.2L V6 5-speed Manual 6.6 ft. Bed)

First truck, and loving it!
By Stephen on

2005 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck because I love trucks, and more specifically, Ford trucks. However it is my first one. I have not been disappointed for the most part. Reliability has been great, and I get complements everywhere I go. A manual transmission was one of my top priorities, so I opted for the small, V6 engine. As can be expected, it is no rocket, however, with the manual tranny, it feels pretty torquey off the line. I have regularly hauled full bedloads of stuff, with not problem, and on several occasions towed a bass boat. It takes everything in stride with no problems. On long trips, even with a full bed and AC going full blast, I have received as high as 21.5 mpg on the highway!

Favorite Features

I love the styling! It looks good, and does everything that I have ever asked it to do. The seats are comfortable on long trips, and the AC can quickly freeze you. Even though it is the base model, I get pretty respectable sound out of the stereo. The gas mileage is decent for a vehicle of this size.

Suggested Improvements

Include more storage places and cup holders. They are somewhat lacking in number in the regular cabin. Obviously, it could use a little more grunt from the engine, too.