Used 2005 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great truck
By Trayscool

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Got my truck used with 50K miles and now has 70K. No problems thus far and runs great. The front seats are very comfortable and there is plenty of room in the rear, like a limo. I tow a 7000 boat with no problems and plenty of power. The factory stereo is very nice. Wish the gas mileage was a little better but with a big V8 that is what you can expect. My parents have one with 150K on it and o problems as well

Interior is great. Truck looks great. Very comfortable.

Gas mileage which ford has improved one the new models

Proud American
By Mark

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have always driven Fords. This one is the best! Power, ride, and quality. Truck is my dailey driver and gas mileage is okay for a big truck.(avg 17)Ford dealers here are great, back up the product. People need to do the research, Americans still and do build the best vechiles.

Room, comfort, power and looks.

None at this time.

Not a bad choice
By fear the voices

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab STX Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

For the selection of trucks available, the F150 isn't a bad choice. I bought mine used due to the bargain price I paid for it. General ride and handling are good for a truck this size. Performance for the 4.6L engine is rather lethargic though. Rated at only 230 hp for 2005, it is merely sufficient for the weight it has to contend with. My previous Ranger with a 4.0L and 4WD would easily put this thing to shame in all performance categories. However, fuel mileage for both trucks are much the same, about 14-15 mpg for the mostly spirited stop and go driving I do. I prefer the styling over the '09 model year which is way too boxy now, '04-08 was sleek w/o looking overly squared off.

Seating is comfortable, even with base model interior. Roomy cab for over 6 foot tall people, and rear cab doors that open wide for access.

Some ideas are addressed in newer models, but not fully. 4.6L needs more power and efficiency, still lacking compared to competition. Needs more gears in transmission, at least a 5-speed auto. A/C could be colder too. This is the least efficient system I've had in a Ford truck.

Best Truck In America
By F. T. Kinney

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew King Ranch 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a 2005 Supercrew King Ranch. This truck is a piece of art in my opinion. It could not be more comfortable or look any more appealing to the eye. The Truck is a work horse and has all the power anyone could expect and a ride that is of the luxury car type. Anyone that is considering a truck for the long haul should look into a F series! Well worth the money!!!

The Castano Leather! Spacious interior.

The only improvement I would like to see is better city mileage, but for a 300 HP it fairs better than most at 14.2 MPG. Highway mileage is very good at 22.4 MPG. Just wish I did more Highway driving!!!

1st Ford I've Owned & Also The Last
By JPH

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The quality is simply not there. I've taken my truck in for warranty repairs 41 times. That's right, 41. I wish I could pursue lemon laws but it's never the same problem. Performance is pathetic. It can't tow a 3000lb trailer, shifts out of OD at the slightest press of the pedal, return lousy MPG. My 91 Chevy would run circles around this truck. EVERY other 1/2 ton truck on the market has a superior engine than the 5.4. Ford sells truck because they are cheap, no other reason. I'm convinced my truck is a dud & not a true example of Ford, but my experience & service I've received from Ford has guaranteed I'll never be in a blue oval again.

Styling, Inside & Out. It is a very good looking truck.

Dump the 5.4 engine family yesterday, it is truly pathetic. Get a real locking or limited slip rear. Improve interior packaging, the subwoofer & jack take up the entire floor. Bring the MPG up. Even though the new F150 is EPA rated at 21 MPG, in reality it only gets about 14.