Used 2005 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 320 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Good so far
By brunswick592

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck mid-summer 2014, It had 75k miles on it and was babied by the one owner. I bought it with a 6" suspension lift on 35' Nitto trail grapplers. I had a 2009 Avalanche prior to this and so far I'm liking the Ford better. The truck runs great with the big lift and tires and has no problem getting into gear. My gas mileage is on average 8-10. It's expensive but I knew what I was getting into. From everything I have read, people have had many problems with the 5.4. So far I haven't had any problems, but the ticking noise coming from the engine is only getting louder every oil change. I sure hope she doesn't have any major problems down the road

The leather seats, wood trim, the taillights, the gauges, the overall setup.

interior lights, the oil filter position, backseat cup holders, a sturdier gear box.

Would not recomend
By nick19d

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have the short bed version of this package. First off the truck does its job as long as you don't abuse it. The clicking noise that is often heard is the cam phaser. It is a $2700.00 dollar repair and it will not stop the clicking noise (as admitted by Ford) the noise may stop for up to two weeks but will continue indefinitely after that. The only way to get it to stop is to purchase what is called the "Cam Phaser Lockout Kit" which is $700.00. I have put 80K miles on the truck and it has clicked since day one. have not had an issue with it truck runs good. Only other problems were the tensioner and the fuel pump module. which is a recall item no discount from ford $69.00 bad engineering.

I slid sideways into the ditch twice with this truck in the oil fields in North Dakota. both times there was no hint of rolling (the heritage editions were notorious for rolling and the cabs collapsing) speaking from experience. With a slightly larger tire (265/70) the truck has a more "aggressive stance" which helps offset how top heavy the truck is. This truck has spent its life in the oil field and has done everything I have asked of it and more. Including starting every morning without being plugged in at temperatures that reached -40 and below. All in all a good truck but would not buy another one.

The interior stains easily and takes a lot of scrubbing to clean it. The timing chain/cam phaser design is ridiculous and should have never been approved by Ford. The clicking noise can be embarrassing and it does get louder as the truck ages. But if the cost of the repair is too great (around $3400) and it does not bother you then don't get it fixed. I have put 80K miles on mine and it has clicked since day one. More interior storage space would be nice. Pack light!!!

F150 for life
By f150freak

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second F150 I've owned and I'm so happy with the results! These trucks offer both power, longevity and reliability. I'm at 118k miles, owned this for 2 years and haven't seen a single problem (aside from a cylinder mis-fire which turned out to be a spark plug out of place) I love the look of the truck and the 5.4 is the dominator! The power behind the wheel is awesome, I've taken other (stock) trucks and not that speed is everything, but it holds its own and cleans their clocks. I would absolutely recommend this truck to anyone looking for a lighter truck (non-diesel) that will tow and is fun to drive.

Favorite features is the interior! The look and design is modern and very clean. It's very spacious as well. Another favorite feature is the look as a whole (especially with a lift kit :)

I would only suggest a slight improvement in the seat comfort. Given it's designed a bit more modern than most of it's year, it's not bad at all. But if you're on long drives, I tend to have to reposition myself a bit. Overall, great truck and I will be buying again.

Good Truck
By stuto1

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Its been a good work truck and it still runs strong like the day I bought it in January of 06.

Problems: 2 window regulators, spark plugs breaking when being replaced(actually only 1 broke in 2 separate incidences but most places want to charge big money to replace them), had a part in the differential wear out around 100k(cost me $800 to fix).

Good: 182k miles and should be able to go over 200k but I have keep up on most of the maintenance pretty good especially the oil changes.

I've never towed with it and I don't know if I'd buy a similar truck with high miles not knowing the history. Hope this helps someone!

Reliability- never completely broke down.

Ford has addressed most in the never models.

Buyer Beware of Engine Failure
By james294

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Truck always regularly maintained and serviced at Ford dealerships.
We take care of and expect our vehicles to last.
It was running perfect until it immediately began idling rough at a stop. No check engine light, we just know our truck. Took it in for a tune-up (replaced spark plugs, etc.) and oil change. Perfect bill of health - couldn't replicate problem. Long story short - towed it back to Ford - they were able to replicate the problem - oil pressure dropped suddenly - need new $7k+ engine at 68K original miles.
Others having same problem, but no recall.
Unreal.
Plus, while under warranty - had the four wheel drive go out and other engine issues.
Not Ford tough.

Beautiful truck. Rides well.

Recall this engine for the 2005 year. Something is different - different parts in the original design or??? Too many owners are having the exact same problem and spending thousands rebuilding these young engines only to have them blow again.