2005 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
1st Ford I've Owned & Also The Last
By JPH on 08/29/09 20:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The quality is simply not there. I've taken my truck in for warranty repairs 41 times. That's right, 41. I wish I could pursue lemon laws but it's never the same problem. Performance is pathetic. It can't tow a 3000lb trailer, shifts out of OD at the slightest press of the pedal, return lousy MPG. My 91 Chevy would run circles around this truck. EVERY other 1/2 ton truck on the market has a superior engine than the 5.4. Ford sells truck because they are cheap, no other reason. I'm convinced my truck is a dud & not a true example of Ford, but my experience & service I've received from Ford has guaranteed I'll never be in a blue oval again.

Just what I expected
By Mac on 07/16/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I put many miles on a vehicle and this one has been no different. I have owned many cars and trucks and this is one of the more comfortable ones I have owned. I "rigged" this truck up a bit but putting true dual exhaust, cold air intake and super-chip. Very quick for a heavy 4WD pick-up.

Just OK
By SWP on 06/12/09 21:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

After almost 3 years of ownership all I can say is that the truck is just OK. Mileage is 13mpg city and hiway. My problems have been: Clunck in transmission when starting from a stop, back sliding rear window rattles like crazy (had repaired once), bracket holding the passenger front window in place broke and the window fell into the door,($425 for that fix) CD player had to be replaced, brakes replaced at 20,000 miles and I do not drive the truck hard, needs a little more power. Good things: Decent ride, nice looking truck inside and out, comfortable seats.

get a chevy instead
By nick on 05/28/09 10:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

when i bought it seemed to be doing fine, then the transmission went out at 60k right when the waranty expired. gas mileage stinks and its only a 2 wheel drive. went out and bought a chevy instead, they last at least twice as long with allison transmissions.

1ST full size truck
By me on 05/26/09 07:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first full size truck and I love it. I drove all of the other tucks before I bought this awesome 150. This truck is super comfortable, drives like a dream, and looks great. This is the time to buy a truck, I got a great price(with some fighting) I highly recommend test driving this truck before you buy anything else.

Bang for the buck
By Happy Camper on 05/25/09 09:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck a couple years after buying my house. Needed something to make those trips to home Depot. As usual, the occasional need arises to ask the truck to do more than expected. And with the 4.2 V-6, I was a little concerned about it's ability to provide adequate power. The chassis build was never a concern. Honestly, the sluggish feel from the V6 doesn't fully demonstrate it's full potential under load. It actually starts to behave like the famous 300ci in-line six. I was quite surprised when I hooked up my new 27' travel trailer, and was reaching for the overdrive button at highway speeds. Have towed a 66 Mustang on a Uhaul trailer, and 2000' of stone in the box. Not one problem

BEWARE of 5.3 Triton
By Upset Illinois cust. on 05/06/09 17:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is a nice LOOKING truck. BUT.. within 20000 miles the 5.3 triton and drive train have major issues. The interior is great. I enjoy driving it and people tell me its really looks nice. BUT,the ticking noise from the valve train and VCT is just poor workmenship,parts and design. After paying $42,000.00 for this vehicle and four years later having to dump $2000 for engine repair is Wrong. Ford knows the fix and won't recall. I give the truck a 8.7 out of 10for its handling and looks. Ford a 3 out of 10 for allowing this to happen. Warranty stinks.

Well Built Very Reliable
By bob g on 04/24/09 12:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I was a japanese truck buyer for years.. I own a farm in Waco and pull large trailers. I needed something that can pull. My tacoma could not. I bought my 05 Lariat FX4 4x4 Crew brand new with 26 miles expecting to get 80k and dump it. Now i have 211,460 as of right now and has been great. Only repairs were headlight bulbs, tires, fluids, and brakes twice. The 5.4 is a real workhorse and still purs with 211k. Toyota? my tacoma had a new tranny put in at 120k and 195k.. This is far more comfortable. I strongly recommend the Ford F series truck. My next vehicle will be American.

Still satisfied even with problems
By Craig Taylor on 01/24/09 09:48 AM (PST)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Used for on and off road and towing utility trailer and 26'camper. Have had rear end clutch packs replaced, the front end 4x4 actuator replaced twice,the right side lower ball joint twice and now at 67000km/40000mi the transmission blew leaving me 600 miles from the nearest Ford dealer at a remote Outfitters lodge. I have nothing but praise for my dealer who has listened to my problems and fixed them and I am thankful I bought 84months/75000mi of extended warranty when I bought the truck. Fuel economy is just a little better than my 1996 F-150 with a 302 V8

Built tough
By cds924 on 12/06/08 20:00 PM (PST)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XL 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Only problem I had was a few weeks ago at 44000 miles my electronic throttle control went bad. Recall replaced bad fuel injectors, funny ever since they did that the truck flies, very noticeable power change. Other than that its great very smooth on road. On trip from Ohio to Texas received 25+ using cruise control on highway.