Used 2005 Ford F-150 SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford F-150 SuperCab

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Would not recomend
By nick19d

2005 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have the short bed version of this package. First off the truck does its job as long as you don't abuse it. The clicking noise that is often heard is the cam phaser. It is a $2700.00 dollar repair and it will not stop the clicking noise (as admitted by Ford) the noise may stop for up to two weeks but will continue indefinitely after that. The only way to get it to stop is to purchase what is called the "Cam Phaser Lockout Kit" which is $700.00. I have put 80K miles on the truck and it has clicked since day one. have not had an issue with it truck runs good. Only other problems were the tensioner and the fuel pump module. which is a recall item no discount from ford $69.00 bad engineering.

Favorite Features

I slid sideways into the ditch twice with this truck in the oil fields in North Dakota. both times there was no hint of rolling (the heritage editions were notorious for rolling and the cabs collapsing) speaking from experience. With a slightly larger tire (265/70) the truck has a more "aggressive stance" which helps offset how top heavy the truck is. This truck has spent its life in the oil field and has done everything I have asked of it and more. Including starting every morning without being plugged in at temperatures that reached -40 and below. All in all a good truck but would not buy another one.

Suggested Improvements

The interior stains easily and takes a lot of scrubbing to clean it. The timing chain/cam phaser design is ridiculous and should have never been approved by Ford. The clicking noise can be embarrassing and it does get louder as the truck ages. But if the cost of the repair is too great (around $3400) and it does not bother you then don't get it fixed. I have put 80K miles on mine and it has clicked since day one. More interior storage space would be nice. Pack light!!!

Good Truck
By stuto1

2005 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Its been a good work truck and it still runs strong like the day I bought it in January of 06. Problems: 2 window regulators, spark plugs breaking when being replaced(actually only 1 broke in 2 separate incidences but most places want to charge big money to replace them), had a part in the differential wear out around 100k(cost me $800 to fix). Good: 182k miles and should be able to go over 200k but I have keep up on most of the maintenance pretty good especially the oil changes. I've never towed with it and I don't know if I'd buy a similar truck with high miles not knowing the history. Hope this helps someone!

Favorite Features

Reliability- never completely broke down.

Suggested Improvements

Ford has addressed most in the never models.

Hands Down the Best!
By mdokell

2005 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned many differant makes and this truck does it all! Even gets good gas mileage on the highway. It tows, huals, and drives like a dream. No issues with maintenence, quality is throughout this truck.

Favorite Features

The ease of 4X4, ride and power.

First and Last Ford Truck
By Donkey Kong

2005 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XL Rwd Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my F150 4x4 used for a very great price during the days of $5 gas, but right out of the gate I have had problems. The 4wd system is a total joke and I have had to have it repaired twice in 2 years, and I only have used 4wd maybe two times. The truck gets even more horrible gas mileage than I expected, around 14mpg, and even though it has a V8 engine it can't even get out of its own way. The power window on the driver side broke and I expect others to give way soon since it is a common issue apparently. Front ball joints also needed to be replaced. All these problems in two years. I should have bought that Toyota tundra.

Favorite Features

Styling and ride is very good. Also the "feel good" you get from buying American, until you realize how much time you spend in an American repair shop.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the 4WD system if not done already. 14 mpg? Nuff said.

Some to like, Some to Not
By flyer

2005 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this superbly maintained low mileage 4X4 with plow, gently used. Good power and interior comfort, but I was disturbed to find both front 4 wheel drive actuators went out at 26,800 miles. It would have been past warranty (because of age, not miles). However, the original owner bought extended warranty, which does transfer, although there is a fee and some effort to get it transferred. It was fixed under warranty. The parts were in stock, which suggests to me this is a common problem. I don't think it's a good sales point that major things break on a vehicle with under 30,000 miles. Otherwise, the truck looks and runs well.

Favorite Features

Power, paint quality, depth of box, sits high.

Suggested Improvements

More attention to interior conveniences, better reliability of front hub assembly.