2005 Ford F-150 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Bang for the buck
By Happy Camper on 05/25/09 09:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck a couple years after buying my house. Needed something to make those trips to home Depot. As usual, the occasional need arises to ask the truck to do more than expected. And with the 4.2 V-6, I was a little concerned about it's ability to provide adequate power. The chassis build was never a concern. Honestly, the sluggish feel from the V6 doesn't fully demonstrate it's full potential under load. It actually starts to behave like the famous 300ci in-line six. I was quite surprised when I hooked up my new 27' travel trailer, and was reaching for the overdrive button at highway speeds. Have towed a 66 Mustang on a Uhaul trailer, and 2000' of stone in the box. Not one problem

Good 2wd pickup
By tpiatt150 on 04/29/08 23:38 PM (PDT)

I purchased this truck new and have been very impressed.Its no speed machine nor a powerhouse but does very well for being a 1/2 ton truck. This truck with the 5 speed is very peppy for having a 4.2 liter engine. It has also performed just fine while towing other cars and pulling loaded trailers. On average I get about 22 MPG on the interstate and could not be any happier with it.

Nice Truck
By fordtrkman on 12/13/07 06:33 AM (PST)

I have the xl v-6 with the work truck pkg. Very nice truck to be basic.It gets better gas milage than my 96 Explorer Sport w/v-6 and 5-speed. I am very impressed with the smooth ride and handleing. The xtra room behind the seats is great. After driving this truck I don't think I could ever drive the other regular cabs.The truck looks good, and because it's an XL it's easy to keep the interior clean. No carpet to get stained.

First truck, and loving it!
By Stephen on 11/20/06 21:27 PM (PST)

I purchased this truck because I love trucks, and more specifically, Ford trucks. However it is my first one. I have not been disappointed for the most part. Reliability has been great, and I get complements everywhere I go. A manual transmission was one of my top priorities, so I opted for the small, V6 engine. As can be expected, it is no rocket, however, with the manual tranny, it feels pretty torquey off the line. I have regularly hauled full bedloads of stuff, with not problem, and on several occasions towed a bass boat. It takes everything in stride with no problems. On long trips, even with a full bed and AC going full blast, I have received as high as 21.5 mpg on the highway!

Big Red Ford
By JLOW on 07/08/06 22:06 PM (PDT)

The 2005 Ford XL V6 is now our Friday night date vehicle. It rides better than the Toyota or Honda cars we have. I love the design and the color. The truck is getting 21 MPG on 2 lane highways at 55 MPH. The gas mileage on the interstate at 70 mph is about 18.5. I am pleased with the truck and I rate it higher than the GMC I traded in.

Full of surprises but still a truck
By Mohawk on 04/06/05 09:56 AM (PDT)

This is my 7th Ford truck in 36 years. I was in the market for the F- 150 Super Crew with the Lariat package. When I saw this truck and the price, I changed my mind on the spot. This is the first new truck I have purchased that did not have all the "bells and whistles." It is the basic regular cab with air conditioning and the work truck option. I am pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the ride is. The vinyl captains chairs provide plenty of passenger room and the storage space behind the seat is surprisingly large. I was also surprised at the maximum load capacity. This extra carrying and towing capacity is great. This is the best value truck I have ever purchased regardless of price.

Excellent 1/2 Ton
By Aggie86 on 02/02/05 10:55 AM (PST)

Have only had this truck a week but already impressed. It's everything I thought it would be and then some. Drove an S-10 for a number of years and really appreciate the additional cab space. Considered a new Ranger but surprisingly was able to by a similarly equipped F-150 cheaper.