Used 2005 Ford F-150 XL Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

STAY AWAY
By Gavin

2005 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I had a ford ranger growing up and liked it, I had a couple of dodges and decided that I would try a ford supercrew I mean it's been the best selling truck for ever. It was a bad decision. First of all the good, I loved the room in the back seat also the air vents I loved how you could point them right at you. The gas mileage was a little better. Now for the bad, first things first the front seats are terrible!!! Killed my back!! So uncomfortable!! It wasn't as wide as the dodges. The bed is too short trying to work construction with it. The 4 wheel drive didn't work very good. It had so many little problems!! The thing that made me sell it was when I was on vacation and the transmission started going out on me and that was it. I never could trust this truck. So I went back to a dodge and am so glad!! That truck was a piece of crap!! Don't get one, run away!! This was all under 90, 000 miles.

Bang for the buck
By Happy Camper

2005 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck a couple years after buying my house. Needed something to make those trips to home Depot. As usual, the occasional need arises to ask the truck to do more than expected. And with the 4.2 V-6, I was a little concerned about it's ability to provide adequate power. The chassis build was never a concern. Honestly, the sluggish feel from the V6 doesn't fully demonstrate it's full potential under load. It actually starts to behave like the famous 300ci in-line six. I was quite surprised when I hooked up my new 27' travel trailer, and was reaching for the overdrive button at highway speeds. Have towed a 66 Mustang on a Uhaul trailer, and 2000' of stone in the box. Not one problem

Capacity, brakes, towing, engine and drivetrain performance, functionality, dependability, ride, confident handling.

Not much, maybe more glove box space. I like this truck a lot, so won't get to buy a new one for many more years.

Good 2wd pickup
By tpiatt150

2005 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new and have been very impressed.Its no speed machine nor a powerhouse but does very well for being a 1/2 ton truck. This truck with the 5 speed is very peppy for having a 4.2 liter engine. It has also performed just fine while towing other cars and pulling loaded trailers. On average I get about 22 MPG on the interstate and could not be any happier with it.

The little doors to let you behind the seats are great. The 5 speed transmission is nice and fun to drive.

It would be nice to have more cup holders.Also to shorten hieght of the bedsides would be nice as it makes it a pain to get items out of the bed. The F 150 emblems are not very good as the color washes out of the lettering. Also fog lights as an option on the 5 speed models would be nice.

Nice Truck
By fordtrkman

2005 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I have the xl v-6 with the work truck pkg. Very nice truck to be basic.It gets better gas milage than my 96 Explorer Sport w/v-6 and 5-speed. I am very impressed with the smooth ride and handleing. The xtra room behind the seats is great. After driving this truck I don't think I could ever drive the other regular cabs.The truck looks good, and because it's an XL it's easy to keep the interior clean. No carpet to get stained.

Styling. Extended regular cab, back door to acess storage behind seats

More cup holders for the 5-speed models,

First truck, and loving it!
By Stephen

2005 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck because I love trucks, and more specifically, Ford trucks. However it is my first one. I have not been disappointed for the most part. Reliability has been great, and I get complements everywhere I go. A manual transmission was one of my top priorities, so I opted for the small, V6 engine. As can be expected, it is no rocket, however, with the manual tranny, it feels pretty torquey off the line. I have regularly hauled full bedloads of stuff, with not problem, and on several occasions towed a bass boat. It takes everything in stride with no problems. On long trips, even with a full bed and AC going full blast, I have received as high as 21.5 mpg on the highway!

I love the styling! It looks good, and does everything that I have ever asked it to do. The seats are comfortable on long trips, and the AC can quickly freeze you. Even though it is the base model, I get pretty respectable sound out of the stereo. The gas mileage is decent for a vehicle of this size.

Include more storage places and cup holders. They are somewhat lacking in number in the regular cabin. Obviously, it could use a little more grunt from the engine, too.