2005 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Would not recomend
By nick19d on 09/14/14 08:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have the short bed version of this package. First off the truck does its job as long as you don't abuse it. The clicking noise that is often heard is the cam phaser. It is a $2700.00 dollar repair and it will not stop the clicking noise (as admitted by Ford) the noise may stop for up to two weeks but will continue indefinitely after that. The only way to get it to stop is to purchase what is called the "Cam Phaser Lockout Kit" which is $700.00. I have put 80K miles on the truck and it has clicked since day one. have not had an issue with it truck runs good. Only other problems were the tensioner and the fuel pump module. which is a recall item no discount from ford $69.00 bad engineering.

Good Truck
By stuto1 on 08/14/14 07:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Its been a good work truck and it still runs strong like the day I bought it in January of 06. Problems: 2 window regulators, spark plugs breaking when being replaced(actually only 1 broke in 2 separate incidences but most places want to charge big money to replace them), had a part in the differential wear out around 100k(cost me $800 to fix). Good: 182k miles and should be able to go over 200k but I have keep up on most of the maintenance pretty good especially the oil changes. I've never towed with it and I don't know if I'd buy a similar truck with high miles not knowing the history. Hope this helps someone!

Buyer Beware of Engine Failure
By james294 on 06/06/14 06:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Truck always regularly maintained and serviced at Ford dealerships. We take care of and expect our vehicles to last. It was running perfect until it immediately began idling rough at a stop. No check engine light, we just know our truck. Took it in for a tune-up (replaced spark plugs, etc.) and oil change. Perfect bill of health - couldn't replicate problem. Long story short - towed it back to Ford - they were able to replicate the problem - oil pressure dropped suddenly - need new $7k+ engine at 68K original miles. Others having same problem, but no recall. Unreal. Plus, while under warranty - had the four wheel drive go out and other engine issues. Not Ford tough.

I HATE Ford after this truck
By littlejohn505 on 05/14/14 12:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our truck it 2005. It's an 05 with every problem Ford ever had that year. We have replace 4 window regulators in the driver's side. All ford branded. Cam Phasers, Cam, fuel injector problems, now a whole new motor because the fuel injector blue and flooded cylinder #4 that we have always had problems with. i hate this truck and the money it has cost me.

UPSET AT FORD
By 05f150owner on 07/30/13 10:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my truck brand new from a dealer in 2005. Have changed all fluids religiously, except for recalls and bad quality dash ac vents, have replaced them 4 times, all has gone well. Recently after tune-up and all service, my engine failed (No. 5 Cylinder) took into dealer and they stated, change the engine it's flawed. Called Ford, no help. Had it taken apart to repair at the dealer, they called me to compliment me on how new the internal of the engine was. How then did it fail. Dealer says Ford issue. That is not what Ford tells me. I would be ashamed if I was Ford.

Great Truck
By zak0270 on 02/09/13 17:47 PM (PST)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck, absolutely outstanding in performance, it pulls anything that I ask it to, the power and acceleration is excellent and the 4x4 works like its brand new. I have 94,000 miles and still has all factory components. Awesome truck.

recall on all ford 4 wheel drive
By donnys on 11/10/12 15:55 PM (PST)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew King Ranch 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my ford f150 in 2007, it had 32000 miles. About 3 month later the 4 wheel drive went out, ya 5000 miles later. I called ford to find out what they would do for me. The customer service was very poor and rude. They wanted to charge me $100 to find out what is wrong with it, on top of what it would cost to fix it. I don't care about paying to have them fix it but to charge me an extra $100 just to find out whats wrong, come on now. After I just payed $30,000 for a truck 3 months early. Toyota doesn't pull that. I like the truck but, the 4 wheel drive has big problems, and customer service suck!!! Going back to Toyota.

Built Ford tough!
By theboss3350 on 07/22/12 17:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab STX Rwd Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 05 f150 v6 back in 2009 and has never giving me any problems. It started off at 19,000 miles and just hit 70,000.This truck is great if your looking for something dependable and big. my only problem would be the lack of power and torque. It is very safe too I got rear ended by a expedition at a red light and it only made a small dent in my bumper. The passenger air bag also shuts off when a child is in the front, this feature could save a life.

let the buyer beware.....
By ritch5 on 07/15/12 10:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

i'll start by telling that i am a ford motor company retiree with over 30+ years on the assembly line. my 2005 f-150 has lived up to the problems common to the 5.4L engine. sparkplug issues, timing and cam phasor issues, and a bad cylinder head to name a few. all difficult and expensive to repair. i have confirmed many of these problems with ford dealer mechanics, and private repair shop mechanics. as a group they all confirm that engine issues are becoming a big problem for 2005-2008 ford trucks, vans, and large suv's. the real problem lies with the manufacturer. ford is not backing up their claims of top quality and reliability. what a shame that they deny their responsibility!!!!

Love my Ford
By dlpadilla1 on 05/16/12 15:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

God, what to say about this truck.........oh yeah, AWESOME!! I owned this beast for three years before trading her in and that was only due to gas prices........got to the point where I started crying at the pump. The drive quality was great, really smooth ride. The interior was very spacious for my two kids, wife and myself. It definately had power which was evident by the two sets of BFG All-terrains I went through in 11 months, very expensive and stupid replacement, but fun!! Driving up north was a blast, especially uphill, always had power on tap for passing..........please people, stay to the right!