2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Review: mixed feelings

2004 Ford F-150 - Consumer Review

Lariat SuperCab (5.4L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic 6.6 ft. Bed)

mixed feelings
By telcom48 on

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 F-150 supercab 4x4 lariat on black fiday 2005 with 45,000 miles already on it. This is basically my first truck. This is heavily optioned with everything you could get or want. With the automatic on the floor, I thought the interior was just the coolest. Needless to say, the looks and styling got me. I currently have just under 185,000 miles on the truck. I fully expect to get 300,000 miles or more before i get a new truck. Here is where the mixed feelings come in. I have spent an average of $1500 a year maintaining this truck! My recommendation is this... Do NOT buy the first model year of ANY vehicle when there has been a COMPLETE redesign. Wait until the bugs are out.

Looks are good. Ride quality is great. Handling is very good and the truck is very responsive. Interior styling is very good. Payload cannot be overloaded and I have tried. Towing is fine. I drive mostly highway. I do take it off road into the woods when I need to get firewood or just want to have some fun. I use my truck as a truck should be used, but I do it in comfort. despite all the little things that seem to break, i still feel the truck is very tough and durable. it just feels...SOLID!

Really not a whole lot suggestions here....if this were the 3rd model year instead of the first I probably would have none. As it is.....fix the spark plug issue! no one should have to pay hundreds of dollors just to change the plugs. More durable brakes would be nice. I am on my 3rd set already. Best suggestion i can make to Ford is this....think about the average guy when designing the mechanicals. we do not mind doing some of the work ourselves.