Drive it like you stole it
By natureschild88 on
2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)
Simply put: best vehicle I have ever owned. I bought my '04 FX4 with 50k miles. After owning for 5 years, I sold it with 174k miles on it. Every mile was hard driven. I have a heavy foot, like to floor it, frequently jump curbs with it, drive it like I stole it. Towed a 19' boat from San Diego to Lake Havasu and back on multiple occasions. Previous owner replaced the transmission: he was towing a 26' cabin cruiser with it - something you need an f250 for. Only thing I did was replace alternator and serp belt. Oil changes every 5-7k miles with MobilOne 5-20 full synthetic. I sold the truck to buy a newer model. At 174k miles, excellent resale value. Felt like crying the next day. Best truck.
Favorite Features
Good sound system, gorgeous interior (FX4 black leather), comfortable to drive, auto sliding rear window, cruise, 4 wheel drive on the fly, plenty of torque out of the 5.4 power plant, beefy 18" rims (although tires were expensive! 17" MUCH cheaper), sleek styling, towing package and 4 wheel drive were bullet proof.
Suggested Improvements
If I got another one, I would switch out the 18" wheels for 17"s, simply because how dramatically cheaper tires are on a 17" rim. I ran BFG All Terrains and Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrains. I could never find a set of 4 all terrain tires for under $1000. Set of 4 17" tires would have been in the $600 to $700 range. I would change nothing about this truck.