2004 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
2004 Ford F-150
By jmartinez on 01/02/07 07:07 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The only bad problem I have had is a light lagging at 20 mph in the transmission when changing gears. Ford says it is normal and I have talked to other F-150 owners and they have had the same problem.

Junk Truck
By sst338 on 12/05/06 16:27 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have 71,000 miles on my truck and it is falling apart. Have gone through 4 sets of tires. Have had to replace both front rotors and calipers, rear also (the right front exploded on me when I had to hit he brakes hard on the freeway) and Ford wouldn't not warranty them with 21,000 miles on the truck. The 4WD part is terrible off road, it might work in the city but stinks in the real world! Plus the motor won't pull anything, and the transmission has been slipping since 40,000 miles. The dealer says it normal and nothing is wrong.

Awesome Truck
By Ford Guy on 11/10/06 20:10 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first truck and I love it! I compared it to Chevy and Dodge and the features in the FX4 edition blew them away. It has plenty of power and handles great for a truck. It's true about the leaky rear window, but there was a recall from Ford so it's a free fix. My brakes do not squeal and gas mileage is not too bad considering the size of the engine. Off road, the suspension and power make it a fun ride. I pulled my friend's boat with no problems. Interior rocks with spacious seating and carbon-fiber plating. Reverse sensors have come in handy plenty of times. Best purchase I've made for a vehicle.

Fantastic Truck
By Happy Ford Owner on 11/03/06 06:41 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

A great truck. I get 18 MPG around town which is fantastic for a full size truck. I have 55,000 miles on it & been to dealer only once for a tire wear issue. They aligned and gave me 2 new tires at 12,000 miles. Rides and handles great, seats are comfortable. The 4.6 engine has plenty of power. I am thinking of trading for a 2007 Crew Cab. My 6'+ sons have outgrown the back seat.

GREAT TRUCK
By automaticj5 on 10/31/06 20:59 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I LOVE THIS truck. Much improved over an already great '03 F150. I like driving my '04 F150 better than I did my Cadillac that I traded in for it. Lacks a little in the "fast" category. But I didn't buy it to race. Love the design, very quiet inside.

F150 Regular Cab 4x4 XLT
By Mike on 10/31/06 17:58 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck... I've had a 89 F150 XLT, 97 Expedition, 2001 SuperCrew and now the 04 F150 XLT and I can't rave enough on how good this truck is. Towing is a dream, power is excellent, brakes are great, steering is tight and responsive. Only problems were a warranty recall on the rear axle, and a recurring dead battery since year one, which is a bad battery, but Ford won't replace it. I'm going to try one more time, before our Minnesota winter to get them to pony up. Did the K&N filter and cut off the stock muffler for a Flowmaster 3" 3 chamber SUV series muffler and this thing sounds great without droning at any speed. I still get 15 mpg avg summer and 13 mpg avg winter! I drive it hard.

2004 F 150 Lariet 2wd
By Steve on 10/30/06 20:11 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this for me and my wife took it and I only see it on weekends. It tows a 7000 lb travel trailer with no issues even over mountain passes. Great truck.

Happy with my STX
By STX in North Dakota on 10/29/06 11:43 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab STX 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

GM owner all my life. Had a VW Jetta before this truck. In the shop more than a 3rd of the time I owned it. I now have this truck and a GMC Sierra SLT. I would say that between both of the trucks I would rather drive the Ford. More comfortable inside with STX package than GMC with leather and all the goodies. I would rather tow with the GMC, way more power. Both get equal MPG when not towing. Styling is better on the Ford. For an extended cab the Ford has more room for my sons car seat in the back. The 4.6 motor is definitely underpowered for serious hauling but works great for commuting and hunting/fishing. Pulls a small boat/camper with no problem. Would not tow more than that.

EXCELLENT WORKHORSE
By MATT on 10/27/06 20:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Owning this truck has been very good, Mine is a basic no-frills model but compared to the competition this is an excellent choice, Skip the Hankook tires if you can, poor winter traction. The paint on front of the box behind the doors on the bottom is prone to early chipping. 4.6 engine is sufficient for most uses, 17 mpg avg. If you pull trailer a lot the 5.4L engine is a better choice, even if unloaded mileage is lower, around 15 mpg avg. Floor shift 4wd is simple and easy to use. Auto transmission shifts flawlessly. A/C is good, as is the heater. The 8 foot box is very deep, you can get to your GVWR quickly, with dirt, rock or whatever. At max load there is no sway or unexpected surprises.

I'm Hooked!
By T. Jordan on 08/01/06 12:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased the truck brand new, actually traded in my 03 crew. What a change! These trucks are great. I pull a 29.5 foot holiday trailer with my F-150...nooo problem. The ride is car like and the truck is very responsive. All controls are easily reached. As well the interior noise is just non-existent. There really is no comparing the F-150 to the Dodge and Chevy. I have friends that have both as I have had and they love my F-150 also. All that truck and still costs less than the competitor's equivalent truck. Well made, great finish and fit. Every time I drive the truck my wife notes the big grin on my face, I'm hooked.