Used 2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Good looking poor quality
By fbi08351 on 02/02/07 11:49 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I love the way the SuperCrew looks and drives, however the workmanship is below par. I have had to replace the front drivers seat twice before the warranty expired because it was falling about at the seams. The back seat had to be replaced because water was leaking around the cargo light on the top. I was told this was a common problem. The seats stain if any liquid is spilled on them including water. Also had to have tranny repair at 25,000 miles. I am a business man that only uses vehicle for light duty.

The best of the best
By Boiseman on 01/16/07 23:56 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle lightly used and have been extremely happy with it. I had looked over other reviews of all other makes/models and overall the Ford F-150 was the leader in 2004. Pickup is peppy and the ride is smooth. Steering is very tight and responsive. I very much like the layout of the dash instruments. Quality of workmanship appears excellent. Time will tell on the engine and other mechanics.

Beware
By jc on 01/08/07 19:55 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in a 97 Silverado for this truck. It was a serious mistake. I went from a 5.7L engine to the 5.4L and my mileage was 1/2. The power was much greater in the Silverado, and the ride was outstanding. The F-150 shakes at each stop, even with that big V8, the defrost and a/c seriously effect the engine. The plastic in the interior is cheap, and the seats are uncomfortable. My truck has the tow package, and with pulling a small Boy Scout trailer the trucks performance was greatly effected. My truck only has 63,000 miles on it. Best suggestion, look to another manufacturer for a better truck.

Until gas is $5.00/gallon....
By EJ on 01/08/07 15:16 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've tried to convince myself to look at other vehicles (for fuel economy only), but I can't get away from Ford F Series! This is my third one; I've leased a 2000 XLT, 2002 XLT, and now a 2004 XLT. My lease on the '04 is up in six months, and I'll be stepping up to a SuperCrew (but sticking to an XLT). I love the interior room (I'm 6'5" and have plenty of headroom to spare), along with the big captain's chairs. My '02 had a bench seat in the front, but I missed having that huge center console. I don't mind the simple plastic features of the dash; if I wanted luxury, I wouldn't be in a truck. The radio is fine; plus, the cabin is SO quiet, you don't need a loud sound system.

2004 Ford F-150
By jmartinez on 01/02/07 07:07 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The only bad problem I have had is a light lagging at 20 mph in the transmission when changing gears. Ford says it is normal and I have talked to other F-150 owners and they have had the same problem.

Junk Truck
By sst338 on 12/05/06 16:27 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have 71,000 miles on my truck and it is falling apart. Have gone through 4 sets of tires. Have had to replace both front rotors and calipers, rear also (the right front exploded on me when I had to hit he brakes hard on the freeway) and Ford wouldn't not warranty them with 21,000 miles on the truck. The 4WD part is terrible off road, it might work in the city but stinks in the real world! Plus the motor won't pull anything, and the transmission has been slipping since 40,000 miles. The dealer says it normal and nothing is wrong.

Awesome Truck
By Ford Guy on 11/10/06 20:10 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first truck and I love it! I compared it to Chevy and Dodge and the features in the FX4 edition blew them away. It has plenty of power and handles great for a truck. It's true about the leaky rear window, but there was a recall from Ford so it's a free fix. My brakes do not squeal and gas mileage is not too bad considering the size of the engine. Off road, the suspension and power make it a fun ride. I pulled my friend's boat with no problems. Interior rocks with spacious seating and carbon-fiber plating. Reverse sensors have come in handy plenty of times. Best purchase I've made for a vehicle.

Fantastic Truck
By Happy Ford Owner on 11/03/06 06:41 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

A great truck. I get 18 MPG around town which is fantastic for a full size truck. I have 55,000 miles on it & been to dealer only once for a tire wear issue. They aligned and gave me 2 new tires at 12,000 miles. Rides and handles great, seats are comfortable. The 4.6 engine has plenty of power. I am thinking of trading for a 2007 Crew Cab. My 6'+ sons have outgrown the back seat.

GREAT TRUCK
By automaticj5 on 10/31/06 20:59 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I LOVE THIS truck. Much improved over an already great '03 F150. I like driving my '04 F150 better than I did my Cadillac that I traded in for it. Lacks a little in the "fast" category. But I didn't buy it to race. Love the design, very quiet inside.

F150 Regular Cab 4x4 XLT
By Mike on 10/31/06 17:58 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck... I've had a 89 F150 XLT, 97 Expedition, 2001 SuperCrew and now the 04 F150 XLT and I can't rave enough on how good this truck is. Towing is a dream, power is excellent, brakes are great, steering is tight and responsive. Only problems were a warranty recall on the rear axle, and a recurring dead battery since year one, which is a bad battery, but Ford won't replace it. I'm going to try one more time, before our Minnesota winter to get them to pony up. Did the K&N filter and cut off the stock muffler for a Flowmaster 3" 3 chamber SUV series muffler and this thing sounds great without droning at any speed. I still get 15 mpg avg summer and 13 mpg avg winter! I drive it hard.