Used 2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great Truck
By Michael

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

One the highest quality vehicle I have ever owned. Only major issues after 65,000 miles were a bad solenoid for the locking hubs and a temp gauge that is 6 degrees off. OE tires were borderline, and interior cloth stains quite easily. Interior quality was much better before they sourced this stuff out (yes, I worked at Ford years ago and still hold the competency of the truck group high). This thing has been down a lot of washboard dirt roads and on rough narrow two tracks and is still tight. K&E filter helped gas mileage a bit. Go with the 6.5' bed if you haul any lumber or want to use the bed for overnighters.

Rear doors. Compass and outside temp gauges. Remote rear glass vent (mine didn't have it). Visibility (tall wide glass for off-road driving) - I would not take a Hummer where I took this thing (unless someone else covered the body damage and tow favors).

Storage bins under rear seats. Lower bed depth (would help bed access and rear vision). Narrower side mirrors (extendable for towing). A composite bed cover that does not increase bed height.

Great Truck
By VIRGIL PRICE

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is great. I bought it new and have only added dual exhaust, cold air, and a chip set at the low end of performance. What a difference these three items made. The truck is quiet and really a pleasure to drive. I will be getting another one this next month so I will have a new vehicle to pull behind my new motorhome.

The best feature of my F150 is the quiet ride. The truck is smooth on shifting. I have driven every truck out there because of my job and we all fought over who got the Fords.

There are two changes I would suggest to Ford. One, make a standard shift available with the 5.4. Second, offer more color options. I have wanted a true orange color for my last two trucks. Come on Ford!

First Year Woes
By slambertr

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just traded in my '04 F-150. Overall it was a great truck -- plenty of power, tons of room. But I encountered two issues that came with the first year of the new design -- tires wore excessively and rear parking brake stuck and caused a vibration. The dealer replaced the tires the first time but refused the second time. The dealer initially refused to fix the brake -- and then Ford "shared" the expense with me after I repeatedly complained (the dealer did not share in the cost). Overall, it was a good owning experience. Very big to park in shopping centers and poor gas mileage, but I knew that going in. Pulled our camper and hauled lots of stuff, in a comfortable and fun package.

Powerful engine, Nice interior, lots of space in cab.

Better help from dealer with known service issues.

Make sure it's what you want
By george

I've owned several pickup trucks from different manufacturers. Make sure you buy one that you need. The F-150 has the best frame in the business. But what good is that if the drivetrain self-destructs? You're left with a large paper weight in your driveway. For me, the Tundra would have been a better choice. Even with its less developed frame, it is much more reliable. But you can't get $11,000 off msrp on a Toyota.

Quiet and smooth ride. Powerful engine.

This truck emits noises that have made me kiss the ground if I make it home. Ford has to go back to work on the drive train. I'll look at another F-150 in about three Toyotas.

Look at another manufacturer
By der9765

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have owed 3 Ford trucks. I will not own a 4th. Ford failed miserably with this redesign. Problems I have are: Water leak on passenger side, replaced IWE solenoid and both ruined wheel ends $750, Rebuild rear due to loud whine $800, fix cam phasers (makes the 5.4 engine sound like a diesel) for $1300. These bills does not include the rotors that need repaired and the calipers that need replaced. Check the Ford TSBs. They are aware of these major problems but offer no assistance with repairs. They must be major issues because on 2 of my 3 repairs the parts were backordered. Trust me - Do NOT own an F-150 that is out of warranty. If it is under warranty, be ready to be without your truck - A LOT.

Interior styling.

Step up to the plate and back your customers on obvious design flaws.