Used 2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Handsome Truck
By Roddy

2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab STX 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck. Three years old and looks new. No problems and good factory stereo.

Favorite Features

4 wheel disc brakes and anti-lock were standard.

Suggested Improvements

Open the door after a rain and water drops into the interior. Suggest better drip railing system.

F150 Regular Cab 4x4 XLT
By Mike

2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck... I've had a 89 F150 XLT, 97 Expedition, 2001 SuperCrew and now the 04 F150 XLT and I can't rave enough on how good this truck is. Towing is a dream, power is excellent, brakes are great, steering is tight and responsive. Only problems were a warranty recall on the rear axle, and a recurring dead battery since year one, which is a bad battery, but Ford won't replace it. I'm going to try one more time, before our Minnesota winter to get them to pony up. Did the K&N filter and cut off the stock muffler for a Flowmaster 3" 3 chamber SUV series muffler and this thing sounds great without droning at any speed. I still get 15 mpg avg summer and 13 mpg avg winter! I drive it hard.

Favorite Features

Towing ability. Power brakes. Appearance. Standard XLT features - power windows, brakes, heated mirrors, compass, 6 CD changer in dash, nice sound system, auto headlamps, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the truck a little. It's a 4x4, and the bed floor is 34 inches above the ground. There's 10" over each wheel to the bottom lip of the fender. It could be 6" lower without sacrificing any offroad capability.

EXCELLENT WORKHORSE
By MATT

2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Owning this truck has been very good, Mine is a basic no-frills model but compared to the competition this is an excellent choice, Skip the Hankook tires if you can, poor winter traction. The paint on front of the box behind the doors on the bottom is prone to early chipping. 4.6 engine is sufficient for most uses, 17 mpg avg. If you pull trailer a lot the 5.4L engine is a better choice, even if unloaded mileage is lower, around 15 mpg avg. Floor shift 4wd is simple and easy to use. Auto transmission shifts flawlessly. A/C is good, as is the heater. The 8 foot box is very deep, you can get to your GVWR quickly, with dirt, rock or whatever. At max load there is no sway or unexpected surprises.

Favorite Features

Rear doors on a regular cab! Also extra room behind the seats.

Suggested Improvements

HID headlights, Don't get me wrong, The headlights are good but some long range high beam lights would be nice. Standard seats could use a little softer foam.

2004 F-150 XLT
By Skip Leicht

2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The vehicle performs well, the 5.4 has all the power I need and the electronic transmission is geared well to this performance. The body style is a huge improvement over the F-150's built in the late 90's. The interior is comfortable for my 6'2" (200 lbs) frame.

Favorite Features

The body style (both exterior/interior). The sound system. The factory lift kit.

Suggested Improvements

You have to hit the overdrive button the disengage overdrive. It would be more practical to have the button engage the overdrive when desired.

Very happy with my F150
By dave

2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my third F150 and the best of them all. Its never been back to the dealership once since I've owned it and not so much as a fray in the seats has shown up yet. My only complaint, if it really is a legit one, is the gas mileage. It's a full size truck and gets about 15 mpg at best most days and I assume that's about right for this. My first F150 was a '90 with a straight six and a stick and was getting around 20 mpg, but hey a v8 with automatic in a truck this size is gonna use more gas right?

Favorite Features

The interior and ride is the best update in the new line. It's the best feeling vehicle I've ever driven.

Suggested Improvements

Tweak a few more mpg out of the little v8 maybe? Hey, gas wasn't two and a half bucks when I bought this truck.